Seadoo SPeedster 1998 RAVE valve replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

Hi there, im the owner of a seadoo speedster 1998 purchased 2nd hand in australia. I believe this is one of few that were imported from the usa some time ago.

Upon purchase we got it in for a service from the local seadoo dealer in town, they mostly do jetskis but they were happy to service the speedster.

There were quite a few perishables/things that required replacing. Most of the work has been attended to thankfully as I am not incredibly mechanically minded.

The last thing that required replacing is a dodgy RAVE valve that melted, apparently a common issue. The mechanics tell me they tried to salvage one from a jetski but it was not compatible. They then ordered a replacement RAVE valve from a supplier but when it arrived it was not the right one and so they are currently waiting to hear from them again.

Its been a frustrating 2 month process but I guess its to be expected with a 20 year old boat.

Anyhow I see ebay has a variety of RAVE valve replacement kits but none of them explicitly identify compatibility with the seadoo speedster 1998 despite being a component for the rotax 787.

Id feel confident with replacing this myself after seeing a few guides on here but I dont know the extent of the damage to the valve and if it needs to replacing in its entirety or whether its just the plasticy bit. The mechanic has taken the whole thing and left a rag in it to keep shit out i assume.

I had links to ebay for example but I cant post links yet.

Any and all advice for my situation would be appreciated. I really want to learn to how to do this sort of stuff myself but I also want the damned thing to work.

Thanks

The Seadoo 787 is the same no matter what it came in. The carbed and fuel injected 787's use a different part number though I haven't held each side by side to see any differences.

A RAVE valve on my rotax 787 melted and is in need of replacement on my seadoo speedster 1998 model

WHen I pulled RAVE off the engine block i noticed a chunk of the guilletine was destroyed/cut/brittled away by carbon. I don't know how long it has been busted up or if it was done on purpose. I've read about people cutting a bit off the guilletine for some reason but I didn't understand how that helps or whether that is what has happened to mine previously. Im not sure if it needs replacing.

I am planning to buy Seadoo rave complete rebuild kit including the housing from amazon. IT does not acknowledge compatibility with the seadoo speedster but it says it works on the rotax 787 which the speedster has.

THe only reason to cut/trim them is if you bore the cylinder to fit a new piston you have to trim the RAVE valve so it doesn't hit the now larger piston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back