SeaDoo Spark Runs Bad and Sounds Weird

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

alzie

Hey folks,

I'm from Sweden, and I've had my Seadoo Spark for 10 hours (bought at 40h, now 50h). Once a stone got stuck in the impeller, but I took it off and removed it and everything went on OK. A couple hours later, it now sounds very bad (like some parts are loose and about to break), and it doesnt run as fast as it used to. I removed the impeller and checked, and then I hadn't screwed the impeller properly back, as it wasn't all the way in. I screwed it back like it should be (all the way in), but still I have the same sound and doesnt accelerate as it should (top speed is OK).

Any idea what this might be? The plug perhaps?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hey mate,

No, but I suspect that it could be the thing that is broke. But it didn't look broken to me when I checked quickly when I removed the impeller. I also believe it was swapped out for the stainless steel wear ring instead of the original plastic ring by previous owner, so it should be more durable (??)

If you are getting top speed I doubt it is the wear ring. What is the noise? is it there at idle, under power. Does it change with engine rpm? Does it change out of the water? can you tell if it is engine noise or from the impeller area when out of water?

Hey greenhornet2,

Thanks for replying. So basically its a rattling sound, from the impeller area. Doesn't sound that much different at idle state but when accelerating it sounds horrible. If I accelerate fully, at some rpm it sounds like shit but if I manage to get to another rpm it sometimes doesn't sound that much (when having constant speed). But mostly it sounds really bad, and especially when accelerating. Also the acceleration isnt nearly as good as it was before (it is a 60hp optimized to 110hp).

Thanks!

I can't listen to the sound clip right now but it sounds like you might have splines stripping from the impeller not being reinstalled correctly. I would pull the impeller back off and recheck the splines. if that's ok noise maybe a pump bearing. I vote splines tho as when you are under power accelerating they are skipping teeth then when at idle or at a constant speed there is enough tooth there to hold. eventually it would get worse and worse until you have 0 acceleration anymore.

Thanks mate, I will check!

Also, I'm quite a newbie, but I recall the first time when the stone got stuck in the impeller, there was some plastic part around the impeller that was slightly broken, but I thought it was no biggie. Now last time I removed the whole impeller I don't even recall that there was any plastic part around the impeller. I might be wrong though. Check the pic of broken plastic around impeller:
mmrbsz.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
Ok, I am pretty new to Jet ski's as well, but the part you have your hand on in the picture looks like the pump and those broken pieces behind the impeller look like the pump vanes which looks like you need a new pump (I could be wrong). the impeller looks ok on the outside but you want to look at the splines inside and on the shaft as well. I would post this on the 4tec part they respond more over there and have more experience!

Agreed, the impeller appears to be ok but check the splines. The bump stator vanes though are toast, you need a new pump housing.

Is this what I need to buy?

SK-SV-140_75.jpg

Thank you so so so much for your kind help. I'll post pictures probably during tomorrow of how it looks like

Thank you so much boys cannot thank you enough! Will look it up with a mechanic if he can replace it :)

Hey, i know this forum is pretty old, but i just caught my seadoo making a terrible sound while accelerating, it sounds like its coming from the back end and sounds very similar to video clip that was linked by alzie so i decided to take a video clip of the sound. Could it be the wear ring or splines?

Back