Seadoo Motor Mount Repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikidymac

Staff member
As I posted about 6 months ago I bought a 2001 XP from a family friend for dirt cheap that had a broken engine mount. I spent a lot of time researching the repair but there was not much info out there for this repair. Some said fix it and some said part it out. I decided the ski was too nice and the price was too cheap to just part it out.

Here she is straight from the road

And no, there is no prize for finding the Noid in the picture but you are looking now aren't you....

And here is the problem....

I spoke to some members that are very good at glass and carbon fiber as well as some very well known shops and some people said the outer hull was SMC and some said it was standard polyester glass. I still have no clue what it actually is but they all agreed the inner hull is standard polyester glass. The issue is that not much sticks to SMC but poly ester is no problem. I figured I would use West Systems epoxy resin as it has a much higher bond strength with cured polyester and I wanted this to be strong.

The outer hull had a minor crack so I decided to just use the epoxy resin and glass the hole in. If it turns out to be SMC and my patch doesn't hold I will just use a 2 part epoxy like Marine Tex.

Here is the actual hole where the old aluminum mounting plate punched through the bottom of the ski.

I like to lay out all my glass before I even get the resin out to make sure it is all correct and ready to go.

I finished glassing the outside with about 8 layers of glass.

Then I applied black gelcoat and wet sanded and buffed the entire bottom.

Next up was a few layers of glass on the inside to strengthen the repair.

After that was finished I had to decide how I was going to get the engine in the correct location. Lucky for me I bought the SBT alignment tool a few years ago. So I set the engine in and supported the front with a cross bar and all thread so I could adjust it up and around to get it correct. I made spacers the thickness of the old hull glass and bolted the front mount on with it's aluminum support.

Here is the final location.

I decided to use 8 lb polyurethane pour foam to support the engine and form the glass. I went with U.S. Composits and they suggested the 8 lb foam and said it would be as hard as pine. I tested some and it was still soft but would support my weight when I stood on it so it is much stronger than the white foam Seadoo used. I made a form for it and poured it in but has no idea how much to use so I guessed.

As you can imagine I used too much foam but it sure locked the aluminum plate into location.

After sawing, chipping and shaping the foam I had my new base for the fibergalss and fingers crossed that nothing moved.

Next I made sure everything was clean and did another wipe down with acetone. Then I cut all of my fiberglass starting small and working up to the final piece. Then one final acetone wipe down.

Here is the stack of all the sheets cut and marked for orientation and finally the resin was ready to mix.

I did not get any action shots of the actual layup because of sticky fingers but I used a few different sized chip brushes and an aluminum fiberglass roller. The method I found that works best for me is to layout wax paper on my workbench then wet out the sheets of glass one at a time and then carry it over and place it in the hull using the brush to tamp it in place and remove all the wrinkles and air then after every couple sheets use the roller to smooth it out. It took three batches of resin but it never started to cure so I am sure the bond is fine it is just that I didn't want to mix too much at once and have it harden too quickly. All in all I placed 23 sheets of glass and I think it looks great. The only thing it seems I did wrong is the glass and resin looks a little milky. From reading it is probably micro bubbles from tamping with the brush to get the glass to conform to all the shapes of the hull but I am not sure how I would have done it any other way and hope it doesn't weaken the repair.

Here is the final result although I will probably mix some grey gelcoat so it matches the rest of the engine compartment.

I hope this helps someone else save their ski and if anyone has and questions, comments or suggestions please add them here for me and others to learn the correct way if my way has issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like some quality work right there! I'm doing surgery on the foot tray of a superjet this summer or next winter. I've never done any fiberglass work before so I'm taking notes and hoping it turns out half as good as your work!

Very nice, reminds me of when I did the stringers on my boat. Man were my are itchy. That foam expands so much and the new stuff is a closed cell formula so the foam is much better than the stuff seadoo used back then. That stuff absorbed water big time

Looks like some quality work right there! I'm doing surgery on the foot tray of a superjet this summer or next winter. I've never done any fiberglass work before so I'm taking notes and hoping it turns out half as good as your work!

The only words of caution I have for you is that the Yamaha is for sure SMC. Please contact Seadoodoc as he has experience with the SMC. The problem is that it has the mold release throughout and grinding can activate it and cause the repair to not bond. I know Evercoat makes an actual SMC resin and they do make special 2 part epoxies for bonding SMC.

Thank you everybody for the positive comments.

A little update....

I finally had a chance to finish this ski over the weekend and it fired immediately. I will have to get some finished pics up but I am very happy with my $500 XP.
Now I just need some water to test it.

As promised, here are some finished pictures of the repair.

I mixed up some gel coat repair in gray as close to a match as I could and now that the pipe is on you probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't point it out.

And here is the final ski ready for a water test.

And the poor little X4 in the background waiting for me to install the fresh engine.

Terrific work! Always prefer to keep a ski on the water.

It looks like you have some serious air in your oil line, I'd double check that!
http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/mikidymac/media/20150505_173600_zpsgo2jhxll.jpg.html
Usually I have to set the tank above the ski for a bit, then rock it back and forth, and then wait a while... etc.

just don't want you to lose that new engine!

You're also missing the black 'docking cleats' on the sides of the mount where the seat mounts in the front.

Thanks Sqrl,

The air is already out in the oil line but thank you so much for pointing it out in the picture.

The engine is not new but very clean and dead on 130 psi each side and unknown hours.

I am cleaning up the silver seat pivot covers and the Wipe New is drying on the docking cleats.

I also need to check the fuel system and when I opened the hood it smelled very strong like fuel inside but no leaks on the hull. I am going the pressure test the fuel system again. Funny thing was last night my friend said his 2001 XP smells very bad like fuel inside even with an empty tank before I even told him about mine.

Thanks for the kind words and attention to detail. You are correct, not totally ready for water test, LOL.

Attention to detail / OCD is what I do :). I can find fault on any system.

Keep checking for that fuel leak. It shouldn't smell like gas.
I'd hate to have 15 gallons of gas explode under my crotch! My last fuel fix was because the previous owner used some cheap clear-ish blue lines. I used Normal auto fuel line and fixed right up.
Also my fuel filter was cross threaded

Also, I clip all my zip ties. Can't leave them dangling! Saves .0002lbs as well ;)

.0002 lbs. i did the math,,thats almost 11 mph! lol
btw,very nice work on the ski.im impressed! you goin to the river for mem day?

.0002 lbs. i did the math,,thats almost 11 mph! lol
btw,very nice work on the ski.im impressed! you goin to the river for mem day?

Thanks donkey. We don't go to the river as it is about a 6 hour drive for us but you probably saw this ski before as the PO only rode it at Parker.

We ride Nacimento, San Antonio and now Lopez since it is the only one with water.

Attention to detail / OCD is what I do :). I can find fault on any system.

Keep checking for that fuel leak. It shouldn't smell like gas.
I'd hate to have 15 gallons of gas explode under my crotch! My last fuel fix was because the previous owner used some cheap clear-ish blue lines. I used Normal auto fuel line and fixed right up.
Also my fuel filter was cross threaded

Also, I clip all my zip ties. Can't leave them dangling! Saves .0002lbs as well ;)

All my fuel lines are brand new automotive, new fuel filter, new on/off valve and fresh rebuilt carbs. Like I said it fired almost instantly and no visible leaks so time for another pressure test.

As far as the zip ties the factory left them long and untrimmed so I was going for that look. I like my stuff to look like it just rolled off the line.

I think I need to loose a pound or two then I should be able to get this thing up to 80 mph.

lol,,all of mine have hit 80 once or twice,,till they get off the trailer,then its a crap shoot,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back