Seadoo GSX needs new spark plugs every hour??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldjboyer

Hi all,

Seadoo GSX 1997
110 hours

I have had an issue over the last few months where I'll install brand new spark plugs in this machine and it'll run fine for approx 1 hour and then start running rougher and rougher over a few minutes until it'll barely run. The only remedy is to install brand new spark plugs again (which only last for an hour). And in a recent run, the 'check engine' light came on the dash briefly also.

I have cleaned the carbs, fresh fuel, new battery (fully charged). When I have checked the voltage at the battery (while running on the garden hose) the voltage jumped around quite a lot, but the display refresh on the digital multimeter was slow which made it difficult to see what was going on.

I am thinking the voltage regulator might be at fault, but could you please help me by suggesting what I should look at diagnosing? (trim spark plug lead ends? check negative cable from battery to engine etc).

Thanks in advance,

Donald.

Plugs look rich but should have no issues running much longer. The plugs are not the issue.
I would check compression first. Then battery voltage with the engine off, idling and at 4,000 rpm and report back.

Plugs look rich but should have no issues running much longer. The plugs are not the issue.
I would check compression first. Then battery voltage with the engine off, idling and at 4,000 rpm and report back.

I completed the voltage tests as per above. No matter what the rpm, the voltage varies between 13.5 and less than 1 volt. See the short video for an explanation.

Any ideas please?

Donald.

Anyone please?

You're testing with the DMM connected at the batt? with it jumping all over the place I'd double check grounds, I don't think it should be jumping erratically like that. Good continuity test between the engine and batt neg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back