Seadoo GSX Bombardier

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben1002

I assume my issue is starter motor? I try to start and get a loud click coming from the back, looked inside here appears to be the switch for the starter, tried bypassing engine still won’t turn over. Pulled both spark plugs and turned rear shaft by hand, lovely and smooth without any issues so engine not seized. Does this leave only the starter motor, if so which starter do I need and what engine is this in here?

Appreciated
Ben
155BB60E-501E-4223-A245-3290DE5875DC.jpeg9A8E1F25-CD12-4A6B-B473-A2237AA1B230.jpeg

Fresh battery? Don't jump the ski from a boosted source as that can blow the MPEM. One post on the solenoid has a smaller red wire or two on it also. The other post with one large red wire goes to the starter. Put 12 strong volts to that post and the starter should spin. Since the engine turns over you've determined that the engine is not seized and the starter is not bound in the flywheel.

So it does sound like a starter to me. As far as replacement a low hour OEM starter is the first choice because the quality is good but they are so pricy new. Most folks go with aftermarket starters though. In that world you might as well go cheap(down to $46 shipped on ebay) because the other "brands" just tend to buy the cheap ones and put their sticker on it. Any Seadoo 787 starter will fit.

Fresh battery? Don't jump the ski from a boosted source as that can blow the MPEM. One post on the solenoid has a smaller red wire or two on it also. The other post with one large red wire goes to the starter. Put 12 strong volts to that post and the starter should spin. Since the engine turns over you've determined that the engine is not seized and the starter is not bound in the flywheel.

So it does sound like a starter to me. As far as replacement a low hour OEM starter is the first choice because the quality is good but they are so pricy new. Most folks go with aftermarket starters though. In that world you might as well go cheap(down to $46 shipped on ebay) because the other "brands" just tend to buy the cheap ones and put their sticker on it. Any Seadoo 787 starter will fit.

If you put 12 volts directly to selonoid wire going to the starter and starter spins is selonoid bad???? because when start button is pushed I get no voltage at the starter? please advise! im learning

Jump the solenoid posts with a screwdriver. If it turns over most likely bad solenoid if it doesnt most likely bad starter.

not necessarily Ron, The solenoid must get its power from its signal, then it closes the contact and passes the power from the large gage battery cable to the large gage starter cable, You need to test and see that you are getting the signal to close the solenoid, if you are, then it is likely the solenoid. But when you say applying direct 12 volts are you using a jumper from the battery or bridging the solenoid? If you are using a jumper you would still need to make sure the solenoid is getting power from the battery on one side

Ok guys. Put a brand new starter on it £99 from eBay. Pressed the button and boom fired straight up!

Today, I took the jet ski out, loaded it into the water and click click click. Tried bypassing solenoid and big sparks. Seems my new starter has failed. How is this possible. Is something on the ski causing it or am I incredibly unlucky

Hi Ben , hope you have sorted your starter issues out , but sadly I've got the same issue so interested what you found with yours. Mine turns over very quickly with no plugs fitted . Good compression both pots , good spark , new plugs. As soon as I screw plugs back in starter won't turn engine over Hope someone can help , Andy

It is either a starter going bad, weak battery or bad cables/connections.

I would start by measuring battery voltage with the battery at rest and when cranking. If it goes under 12V then it's bad.

Thanks for your reply . So far ,,,,, Brand new batttery, new starter neg cable so will replace the possitve cable too, then do a drop down test on the battery when cranking. Thanks for you input

I'll keep you informed how I get on . The ski is an old beast so very much looking forward to getting her running before I start all the cosmetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back