Seadoo GSX 787 Flywheel Key Removal?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando rides

I’m working on a 787 motor and I’m trying to figure out whether or not I need or how to repair/replace the flywheel key. Its worn down a good amount but still protruding. Does it come out and if so is there a way to do that? There is still enough protruding that it catches the notch in the flywheel when its resting on the crank but I don’t want to have any problems later on. I’ll post a picture tomorrow, any input is appreciated, thanks

it will be fine, as the key is there to line it up, the crank taper and RED LOCTITE is what really keeps the flywheel in place.
I'm currently finishing up a boat that someone didn't loctite the flywheel, it rotated right at 150 degrees!

If it was me I would get a new key.You can carefully tap that one out with a punch.
The manual suggests blue loctite on the crank not red but not sure it matters but I wouldn't install it without a good key.

I use a small chisel with a dulled tip. I place the contact point just under the top of the key and angle upwards a bit. Gently tap and it is very controllable. Just lift the key slightly put it in a piece of masking tape and write on it KEY and put it in a small zip lock with the rest of the bolts and flywheel fasteners. Those little suckers are easy to loose. One day I'm gonna buy some new ones and have a stash. LOL Good Luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back