Seadoo Challenger, Cavatation problem? missing top speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmihs

Hi, I have a Seadoo Challenger 2000 from '03 and as you can see on my many posts it has some issues.

This issue has to do with top speed, according the the spec it should reach around 55knot unfurtunetly i can only get it to about 35knot.

Could this be a cavatation problem?:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance..
Jimmi

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a Merc Challenger can go 63mph. But it should be going faster than 40 mph.

Your movies are big, and they are down loading slow, so I stopped downloading them.

Please make them smaller, and I will check back later.

You can read up on "cavitation" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

It is impossible to verify the existence of cavitation by looking at the discharge flow. To check for cavitation you must observe the suction side of the propeller vanes.

From reading other posts in this forum I would recommend that you check the clearance between the propeller vanes and wear ring for excessive gap. Also excessive scratches in the wear ring will reduce pump efficiency thereby reducing performance.

Does your boat show speed in Knots? our boats here in the US show speed in miles per hour.

HI, I will take the boat out of the water and look at the the propeller vanes and wear ring.

In regards to speed it is a US boat and the boat has both knots and miles per hour.

/Jimmi

Well..... from the videos, the boat looks like it's running good.

When you have cavatation... it's easiest to feel if you go from a stop, and give it full throttle quickly. If you have cavitation, the engine will speed up, but the boat will move slowly. In an extreme case, the boat may never get up on plane.

If you have any issues, verify that they engine is getting to top RPM's, and check you speed with a GPS. (do not trust the speedometer in the helm)

If it is slow on a GPS... check the impeller, and wear ring for excessive clearance.

Well..... from the videos, the boat looks like it's running good.

When you have cavatation... it's easiest to feel if you go from a stop, and give it full throttle quickly. If you have cavitation, the engine will speed up, but the boat will move slowly. In an extreme case, the boat may never get up on plane.

If you have any issues, verify that they engine is getting to top RPM's, and check you speed with a GPS. (do not trust the speedometer in the helm)

If it is slow on a GPS... check the impeller, and wear ring for excessive clearance.

HI, thanks for your input ..it is also slow on the GPS.

/Jimmi

ahhhh ..screws not comming off

I am trying to inspect the propeller vanes and wear ring. but the previus owner has messed up one of the torx screws and I cant get the star screws free :cuss:

any idea? I have tried with wd40 on the star screws. I don't know how to fix the torx screw is is all round. :bigear:

/Jimmi

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 37
Finally.. I got the stator off

I had to make my own tool to get it off, after having made the tool it took me 1min to get the stator off. :cool:

I need some input on what to do next ..looking at the parts they seem used and abused..

Please look at the pictures. I have attatched pic og the stator and the tool

Looking at the stator it seems to have some damage, is this a problem?

I red that the stator oile should be clear but it is not :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• stator remove tool.JPG
    stator remove tool.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 47
  • stator back.JPG
    stator back.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 54
  • stator back2.JPG
    stator back2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 49
  • stator fromt.JPG
    stator fromt.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 47
  • stator oile.JPG
    stator oile.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 42
Pic of the propeller and wear ring

Lookig at the wear ring is seems that it is not replacable the insert only ..is this right?

Attachments

• propeller front.JPG
    propeller front.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 48
  • propeller front2.JPG
    propeller front2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 47
  • propeller front3.JPG
    propeller front3.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 43
Wow that ring is pretty gouged up. You can replace it with a stainless insert, or refurbish the one you have. Many people on the mercury stuff have had good luck filling it in with JB Weld and then sanding it smooth. $20 vs $450.

Well since this thread is right up my alley. I too have the same problem. Except I can still get about 43mph. I am missing huge chunks out of the stator and my wear ring looks even worse than yours! My only question is removing the impellor. What size is that nut! It's huge and as far as I can tell I am going to need one seriously deep socket to get down to it.

What should I use to remove that nut holding the impellor?

Well since this thread is right up my alley. I too have the same problem. Except I can still get about 43mph. I am missing huge chunks out of the stator and my wear ring looks even worse than yours! My only question is removing the impellor. What size is that nut! It's huge and as far as I can tell I am going to need one seriously deep socket to get down to it.

What should I use to remove that nut holding the impellor?

This was previously posted by a super pro mercury guy, Rookie101.

"The nut is 1-13/16, but the problem is it is super deep. You will either have to buy two cheap sockets and cut and weld them together, or buy the mercury tool. Part number 91-850297."

Wow that ring is pretty gouged up. You can replace it with a stainless insert, or refurbish the one you have. Many people on the mercury stuff have had good luck filling it in with JB Weld and then sanding it smooth. $20 vs $450.

Thanks, is JB weld easy to work with. How fine/smooth do i need to sand after using JB weld?

JB weld or not?

Hi, looking at this link

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=36732

I'm wondering if I could JB weld my wear ring ..what do you clever people say? :bigear:

Attachments

• propeller%20front2.JPG
    propeller%20front2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 18
Hi, looking at this link

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=36732

I'm wondering if I could JB weld my wear ring ..what do you clever people say? :bigear:

I have never personally done it but I leave it to the opinion of the Mercury pros. WAJetboating seems to really knows his stuff when it comes to the mercury boats and I have seen him mention it several times. If you do a google search for JBWeld Mercury wear ring, lots of stuff pops up from various message boards. If that many people are doing it, I dont see a problem honestly.

I have never personally done it but I leave it to the opinion of the Mercury pros. WAJetboating seems to really knows his stuff when it comes to the mercury boats and I have seen him mention it several times. If you do a google search for JBWeld Mercury wear ring, lots of stuff pops up from various message boards. If that many people are doing it, I dont see a problem honestly.

Thanks.. i will try :patriot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back