Seadoo 951 runaway

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaant03

I've done a complete rebuild, and it starts great, but after a few seconds the revs pick up on their own and would keep on revving unless I either pull the choke or DSS key and open throttle.
I've not had it in the water yet, it's on trailer.
I've read loads that this is common until in the water, is this right or do I have a problem?

You have a problem...
. make sure that the throttle isn't hooked to the bottom hole on the throttle disk(where the oil cable would hook to).
• too tight or not tight enough carb bolts
•no carb gaskets

Pretty common on the 941 if you're idle is set too high. Also make sure you have some slack in the throttle cable.

Funny, this just started happening to mine. Was running well on the water but wouldn't go above 6500 RPM. Pull the carbs and just adjusted the high speed screw 1/4 turn to see if it just needed a little more gas. Reinstalled everything and now when it fires up, it gradually revs right up and I have to kill power to stop it.

Hoping resetting the high speed screw will bring it back to where it should be, but that still leaves me with the problem of it not reaching max rpm.

You are running dangerously lean. I had this happen to me once and scared the crap out of me. I pulled the dss, cut fuel, pulled plug wires, yanked out batter cable and it just kept going. Luckily I had the water going and another hose going trying to cool the engine. Lol the plugs get too hot when lean, and continue to ignite the fuel causing the chain reaction. Opening the throttle lets fuel in which cools it down and stops it from continuing. (So im told) I wish i wouldve known that the first time I had a runaway, I thought it was gonna blow haha

You can just pull the choke and it will kill it.
This is pretty common on the 951.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back