Seadoo 787 first start-up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforest

I've completed the top end rebuild on my 787. The engine is back in the ski and is almost ready to start up. I've been reading about the break-in procedure and understand that. I will be using the oil pump, not premix, and I know that I need to bleed the oil line. I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to.

1.) Do I need to run any premix with the gas during the first tank or let the oil pump do it's job?

2.) Do I need to prime the engine prior to letting it run? Like you would on a car after doing a rebuild?

I'm getting ready to do the first start-up and would like to make sure that I have everything covered prior to starting it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:

I rebuilt my 787 last year, here is what i used for ref. had no issues.

Default Proper Engine Break-in Procedures for Jet Skis

New jet-ski buyers often have the first impulse of jumping on and hitting the throttle to enjoy their new equipment. However, to assure engine longevity and adequate performance for the life of your jet-ski engine, a proper break in period is required. Here are some tips that will assure that your new jet-ski will last for years at the performance level intended by the manufacturer. Always refer to the owner’s manual for brand-specific break-in period instructions. These break-in instructions are applicable to all jet-ski models except for 4 stroke models.

None of the jet-ski engine break-in steps can be done with the jet-ski out of the water. This condition applies to all models of jet-skis. Jet-ski engines that are improperly broken in due to negligence or by attempting to break them in out of the water can experience loss of power, frequent shut-offs, reduced performance, piston ring failure, and even piston seizure.

DI model jet-skis should not have any oil added to their fuel tanks.

For jet-skis that utilize an oil and fuel pre-mix system, the oil to fuel ratio should be enriched to a ratio of 32:1 for the first ten gallons of gas that is run. If the jet-ski is equipped with an oil injection system, then a 50:1 ratio of fuel to oil is recommended to be run through for the first ten gallons.

Upon initial startup, let the jet-ski idle for ten minutes to allow the engine to warm up and to allow oil to permeate internal gaskets and engine components. During the initial ten gallons of fuel being run through the jet-ski, the jet-ski should never be operated at full throttle. Doing so can potential cause damage to piston rings, pistons, and engine cylinder walls.

Begin cycling the throttle from idle up to 20% capacity and back down to idle for a full half hour while riding. Bring the jet-ski back and shut off the engine to allow it cool for at least half an hour.

Restart the jet-ski and bring the throttle to 50% capacity for a full half hour while riding. Bring the jet-ski back and shut off the engine to allow it to cool for at least half an hour.

Restart the jet-ski and bring the throttle to 90% capacity for a full half hour while riding. Bring the jet-ski back and shut off the engine to allow it to cool for at least half and hour. Repeat the process of riding the jet-ski at 90% capacity for half an hour and letting it cool for half an hour until all ten gallons of fuel are gone.

Never hold the throttle at a static level for more than a few seconds – it is important to cycle the throttle as much as possible during the engine break in period.

After the first ten gallons have been depleted, replace the spark plugs in the jet-ski with new plugs. Restart the jet ski and operate it as you normally would for the entire second tank of gas without bringing the throttle to 100% capacity for more than five seconds at a time.

Once the second tank of gas has been depleted, your jet-ski is broken in and you may ride it to its capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back