Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CreekerMike

Greetings and salutations to all.
I got my factory piped 720 assembled and installed this past weekend. I dont have the necessary carbs yet however so its not 100%. I fired it a few times on starting fluid to show some of my buddies. Sadly I saw oil in the hull (this was after an engine out pressure wash) I know the feed line to the rv can crack and leak. However I knipped the hose back a little to give a clean section to clamp to. After some inspection with a mirror and my cellphone I found this. It appears the oil is leaking from the threads of the feed fitting? Have any of you seen this before? Judging by the fact the oil is half way up the threads I think its safe to say that's the leak. Just seems strange to me. I may add this is an sbt engine. My plan is to pull the rv cover, clamp both lines. Install oil pads/ rags under the engine. Then remove/retape the fitting. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.Screenshot_20211025-174629_Video Player.jpg

It is standard pipe threads so if there isn't sealant it can leak.

Are you running the Factory pipe on a SBT reman engine?

It is standard pipe threads so if there isn't sealant it can leak.

Are you running the Factory pipe on a SBT reman engine?
Thank you for chiming in miki, Yes the factory pipe is on this engine however im not sure what the history is (bore, reman, new) but I know its an sbt long block. Is this frowned upon?

Yes actually so keep your fingers crossed and keep a close eye on it.
SBT isn't bad for a stock rebuild but they are not the quality I would want for running a Factory Pipe which pushes a 720 to the limit. Crank is just ok as is their build quality, also note that they cut the heads to lower the compression.

I don't want this to sound like SBT bashing because it is not, but you have to be realistic with what they provide which is a basic budget engine. I guess it would be like walking into Autozone and asking for the cheapest small block chevy they sell because you want to make a Saturday night drag car.

Last edited:
Yes actually so keep your fingers crossed and keep a close eye on it.
SBT isn't bad for a stock rebuild but they are not the quality I would want for running a Factory Pipe which pushes a 720 to the limit. Crank is just ok as is their build quality, also note that they cut the heads to lower the compression.

I don't want this to sound like SBT bashing because it is not, but you have to be realistic with what they provide which is a basic budget engine. I guess it would be like walking into Autozone and asking for the cheapest small block chevy they sell because you want to make a Saturday night drag car.
Apreciate the input and analogy miki. I'll be running the pipe conservatively, regardless I'll keep an eye on the vitals. Any advice on piston/crank choice in the future?

If you are really building a performance engine the Competitive Crankshafts for the crank and have the cylinders bored by a good shop like Group K and Pro-X or OEM pistons and OEM gaskets and seals, that would be the best of the best base for an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back