Seadoo 720/787 Welch plugs, Exhaust plug/cap or whatever you want to call them.......

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

racerxxx

OK guys, up for sale are high quality welch plugs made from 6061 aluminum cut at 3/16" thick to fix your leaking head pipe plugs. We all know over time these will spring a leak and it drives me crazy to see guys JB Weld them (lots of questions this summer), do it once and do it right. So I decided to make these and offer them to you guys here. The pricing is easy. $5 per piece and $5 shipping. So if you want 4 it will be $25 shipped, 3 will be $20 shipped, 2 will be $15 shipped and so on to a US address. I will ship anywhere if needed--based on actual rates. I have 12 on hand and I think 4 may be spoken for. If they sell I will gladly make more for anyone else who wants them. So if you've been putting off that proper repair, now's your chance to do it the correct way.

243.jpg

374.jpg

377.jpg

244.jpg

Wow dan!!!! Who the hell does the welding for you??? That guy is an amazing welder!!!! Seriously.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excellent idea.

Thanks Spim. I tried to look at what I think the TOTAL job should cost. So if the end user could walk into a welders shop and drop off a prepped pipe and caps and walk out at like $10 a hole you would be into the complete job for $65, or buy a used pipe of Ebay that could pop the next day for the same or more.

Wow dan!!!! Who the hell does the welding for you??? That guy is an amazing welder!!!! Seriously.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is right around the corner from my Father in laws shop. We use him for every weldment we do. His welds are like a work of art. Most stuff for me is like same day service or next day service if I need it. I usually tell him I'll pick it up in a few days or just drop it at the shop when he's finished.

Thats what my guy did too...bought the stock and cut a bunch of discs.

As far as the upper plug...Have any of you guys found any leaking or corroded when you cut into them? I have not seen a need to do the upper one.

That challenger I did had a few bad. So I did all 8(twin engine). Many were on the verge of leaking in short time.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Personally, I've never seen the plug on the top leak, however the one on the lower end of my 96GSX looks ready to go, it's probably not a bad idea to do both. Dan put me down for four, I'll PM you with the details.

Lou

4" angle grinder with a 5" 50 grit disc. With the safety guard removed for maximum safety, watch your knuckles! Makes quick work of it.

255.jpg
256.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Dan to rescue, again! I'll hit you up soon since the XP pipe on the project has JB weld on the top plug under the water elbow fitting. I wasn't going to mess with it since it would be pain to get the elbow out. I have yet to try to remove...maybe some heat?

The top one was the only one to go on Ski 13. The other, it's twin is ready to pop on top too. Make more plugs, I should be sending my order soon.

I'd put that guard back on, friend of mine took the guard off his, disk flew apart and sliced the inside of his thigh good, cut a major vein. Cheap Chinese disk probably, aren't they all now?

excellent idea... I CANNOT believe I saw some people use a PENNY and JB weld! VERY odd, but creative! hey, if it works, it works (for now, til your hull fills when you're 3 miles off shore)..

Mine already went, so I had them welded. a while ago..
What is the point of the pipe having these plugs that seem to be weak spots anyway?

excellent idea... I CANNOT believe I saw some people use a PENNY and JB weld! VERY odd, but creative! hey, if it works, it works (for now, til your hull fills when you're 3 miles off shore)..

What is the point of the pipe having these plugs that seem to be weak spots anyway?

When they pour the molten aluminum those 4 plugs are more than likely vents or part of the gating paths to cast the pipe. The gasses and aluminum need room to travel. Then they weld the caps over them to seal the pipe.

gotcha,
figured it was something like that... I was told those are ALWAYS the weak spots and tend to blow.

Just rub your finger on the middle of them. Any roughness or bumps will tell the tale. The unrepaired Ski of ours has all of them going. The plugs are like 50 grit sand paper now.

lol I think that was mine you saw that the PO did :facepalm:

There are instructions here where you use JB Weld and alluminun screen. You figure if you prep it right and it is low water pressure it would work. How long is another question?

Well, I fixed mine temporarily by using 3-4 wraps of heavy duty 3-M rubber electrical tape, then a wrap of vinyl electrical tape over that. So far it's holding, but it's just to get me through the season. I hate not to ride when he weather is still warm, I'll fix it permanently in the off season.

Lou

Well, we went for a long ride yesterday and my temp. repair is still holding but with the season winding down I'm thinking about gathering the parts to repair the head pipe permanently. So I have a question, the brass sealing washer, part 38, is this part always necessary, or can the old one be re-used. The reason I'm asking is the part has been discontinued, OSD has an aftermarket available for about $50.00 and I found a new old stock one on Ebay for about $40.00. I would rather not spend the money unless I really need to. Seems like the last time I did this (several years ago) the part was around $20.00.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...c&a=300&b=6&c=0&d=-ENGINE-SUPPORT-AND-MUFFLER

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Back