Sea doo gtx 951 starting issue please read

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andygtx2000

Guys I need help please it’s a 2000 seadoo gtx 951 with the carbs when I push the start button the starter sounds like it wants to start but it gets stuck right away.

My first move is to check the initial voltage at the battery terminals. If that voltage is around 12.6 volts, I would then do load test on the battery. Next, Check your connections at the battery. After that, check your connections in the electrical box. Don't go buying a new selenoid if you don't have to. Of course I am assuming that you have not sunk the boat and that your cylinders are hydro locked with water. Pull the plugs, and see if the starter is able to turn over the motor. If you jump the selenoid and the starter turns over, you know pretty well the selenoid is the problem.

Also check that your ground connection from the negative of battery to the bottom of the motor is tight, it should not be connected to the air box bracket that also secures the rear of the starter.

Also check that your ground connection from the negative of battery to the bottom of the motor is tight, it should not be connected to the air box bracket that also secures the rear of the starter.
Will you watch this video I just made on the issue? I feel like it’s better explained visually

I am not very good with explaining so I thought I’d make a quick 5 minute video on the issue I’m having. Please if you don’t mind giving me some feed back on what I should do. Thank you in advance

I didn't have the patience to really watch the entire 4:36 minute video, but did you say the 'original starter' at 3:02 was replaced? with what? aftermarket by chance? if so that's your problem.

Aftermarket starters are crap, they never hold up long, get a worn out OEM and rebuild it, you'll be better off.

Nope, haven’t replaced the starter. That was the original one. bought a new one from sea doo. But haven’t installed it yet. Are you saying those aren’t good?

Nope, haven’t replaced the starter. That was the original one. bought a new one from sea doo. But haven’t installed it yet. Are you saying those aren’t good?

No, OEM is good, you bought it new from a Seadoo dealer? Question, can you turn the engine by hand at the PTO? Could be a starter issue, sounds like it's not engaging the flywheel properly.

I didn't have the patience to really watch the entire 4:36 minute video, but did you say the 'original starter' at 3:02 was replaced? with what? aftermarket by chance? if so that's your problem.

Aftermarket starters are crap, they never hold up long, get a worn out OEM and rebuild it, you'll be better off.
I did replace the solenoid tho. And I removed the oem starter

No, OEM is good, you bought it new from a Seadoo dealer? Question, can you turn the engine by hand at the PTO? Could be a starter issue, sounds like it's not engaging the flywheel properly.
Well, I went to my local motor sports store and they are a dealer also. That’s where I got it from. I’m sure they got it from sea doo tho

I did replace the solenoid tho. And I removed the oem starter

Ok, it's becoming confusing, in post #3 you haven't replaced the starter, but you did remove it and reinstall. Now you have the problem as described in the video. I'd double check that it's seated good when you put it back on.

Ok, it's becoming confusing, in post #3 you haven't replaced the starter, but you did remove it. Now you have the problem as described in the video. I'd double check that it's seated good when you put it back on.
The problem On the first part of the video is with the oem starter. Then I removed that one and tried putting the new one in but was having issues. I’m going to go ahead and remove the carbs since I need them rebuilt anyway and that’ll give me more room to work with. Do you think that’ll solve it?

hen I removed that one and tried putting the new one in but was having issues.

Ok, so you did install the new one, but you had issues? what kind of issues? No, I don't think rebuilding the carbs will solve your issue of the starter engagement, though I think rebuilding the carbs is good idea anyway.

Ok, so you did install the new one, but you had issues? what kind of issues? No, I don't think rebuilding the carbs will solve your issue of the starter engagement, though I think rebuilding the carbs is good idea anyway.
I tried putting it in but i can’t get it to go in all the way. It goes in to about a quarter inch away and it stops. I don’t want to bang in it
Too much if any at all so I want to get the carbs out of the way. I’m not asking if the carbs will fix it I’m asking if you think the new starter will do the trick

I tried putting it in but i can’t get it to go in all the way. It goes in to about a quarter inch away and it stops. I don’t want to bang in it

This is your issue, it needs to be seated all the way. If the engine turns by hand at the PTO and the starter is good and it's seated all the way that should fix it.

Keep the old OEM starter, encase the new starter goes, I have a feeling you may have an aftermarket. OEM new if you can find it, they'll run close to $250 - $300.

Pull that starter out and post some pictures along with the oem.

I have never seen the correct starter not drop right in.

This is your issue, it needs to be seated all the way. If the engine turns by hand at the PTO and the starter is good and it's seated all the way that should fix it.

Keep the old OEM starter, encase the new starter goes, I have a feeling you may have an aftermarket. OEM new if you can find it, they'll run close to $250 - $300.
I am going to buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the oem one and have it on the side

For the life of God, and I am non religious, DO NOT remove that pipe, or you will be in jet ski hell! There are many possibilities! Here are a few...If you need to remove the starter again,then remove the air box, and or remove the carbs and lay them on rags at the bottom of the hull. Make sure you remove the ground from the battery first. Then you will just need to remove the bracket at the back of the starter. Then you will be able to Jiggle/ wiggle out the starter again. You can check that the positive able is secure. You should not have to bang the starter in. I assume that you have checked that the cylinders are not hydro locked, full of water. Remove the gray pto cover, remove your plugs, and see if you can rotate the pto/ crank by hand.

For the life of God, and I am non religious, DO NOT remove that pipe, or you will be in jet ski hell! There are many possibilities! Here are a few...If you need to remove the starter again,then remove the air box, and or remove the carbs and lay them on rags at the bottom of the hull. Make sure you remove the ground from the battery first. Then you will just need to remove the bracket at the back of the starter. Then you will be able to Jiggle/ wiggle out the starter again. You can check that the positive able is secure. You should not have to bang the starter in. I assume that you have checked that the cylinders are not hydro locked, full of water. Remove the gray pto cover, remove your plugs, and see if you can rotate the pto/ crank by hand.
Okay see glad I asked lol i
Will do that
Tomorrow

What would my next step be? I tried it and it seems like I’m hydro locked

I think I’m hydro locked. I took the spark plugs out and I can’t spin it by hand
Hydrolocked means that the cylinders are filled with a fluid like water or fuel. IF you take the plugs out and it still will not turn over you are not hydrolocked as the fluid would just come out of the plug holes.

If it will not turn over by hand with the plugs out then there are a few suspects.....
1. Jet pump is locked up.
2. Cylinders are seized and pistons are stuck.
3. Balancer shaft is locked up.
4. Crankshaft is locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back