Sea Doo Engine Alignment Tool Alternatives/Tips/Tricks

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

usafaux2004

Hey folks, I'm thinking I need to do an alignment, but had some questions. I've seen the $150 set sold by sbt, but I've also heard that you may only need just the alignment tool.

Are there alternatives to get just the alignment tool? Could I make one? I have a lathe in the garage, and can make it. Does it have to be as long as it is? A buddy has the sbt tool, and it's almost as tall as him.

Thanks all,

Mike.

SBT rents them for $75. There is also another sea doo source that rents them for like $45. You can find it by googlng. If you need help, let me know and ill PM the site. They dont like links to it here.

Strange that a Seadoo parts place doesn't like links to them on a seadoo forum site????????

It pays to advertise! ! ! ! ! ! !

I know who he's talking about, there's been problems in the past, let it drop.

Lou

Strange that a Seadoo parts place doesn't like links to them on a seadoo forum site????????

It pays to advertise! ! ! ! ! ! !

Not exactly. There is only 1 main supply place that pays to advertise here. Riva motorsports, which is where the parts link up above takes you. So the admins prefer we send most people to them. Most of the time i do, but for this particular part, there are much better sources. This particular place has a history here and they dont like it mentioned, so i dont go around throwing the name out there.

Ok, so the consensus is to not make my own. How about buying the tool though? I like to have my own, but I don't know if I should go for the set or source just the alignment tool.

Thanks,

Mike.

I sent you a PM. :cheers:

Could you send me a PM also. I'm in the middle of tearing down one of the engines out of my Challenger 1800. One of the rave valves broke in half and jammed the motor. So I will have to align it when I drop it back in.

Also, I haven't decided the route I am going to take. I am an auto mechanic, do I just buy the parts I need to fix this motor or do I just buy a complete from SBT?????

Could you send me a PM also. I'm in the middle of tearing down one of the engines out of my Challenger 1800. One of the rave valves broke in half and jammed the motor. So I will have to align it when I drop it back in.

Also, I haven't decided the route I am going to take. I am an auto mechanic, do I just buy the parts I need to fix this motor or do I just buy a complete from SBT?????

Sure...what you want me to message you about? :lol: If you are capable of rebuilding it yourself, you can save a few bucks. What kind of damage was done to it? Most people choose the rebuilt engines because they dont know how to work on them, or the core engine needs some machine work or has been damaged.

I was wondering about the link for the alignment tool. Or should I just buy the one from SBT.

As for the damage, the rave valve broke in half, fell into the cylinder. Piston got hurt, cylinder jug looks ok. A piece of valve got down into to crankcase and jammed the crank. No cracks in the case though. Definitely needs a top end kit and two new rave valves.

Now, should I change both rave valves in the other engine. Do these things break all the time?? How often should they be changed??

Thanks

I was actually just sending him directions on how to make his own since he owns a lathe. If you wanna know the other place to rent it let me know. If you got pieces down into the bottom end and it jammed the crank, id be leaning more to a rebuilt engine honestly, but thats just my opinion.

I use to think the RAVE valves only needed to be changed when you did major engine work, ie upper end rebuild or short block replacement. But lately we've been seeing RAVE valve failures, so I'm thinking maybe 300-400 hour range. What do some of you other guys think, I'd also be interested in knowing.

One thing I did learn from Dr Honda a couple of weeks ago, if you are doing a rebuild and the new pistons are more than one size over you need to have the RAVE valves shaved to match the shape of the new pistons. If not they can catch on the piston rings and break the RAVE valves, big trouble.

Lou

Hey Mike:

There is an easy cheap way. Just loosen the two back engine mounts start up the engine briefly and then re-tighten the bolts. Those 2 strokes aren't that critical about alignment unless you have other issues.. Keep it touch..

Norm

Hey Mike:

There is an easy cheap way. Just loosen the two back engine mounts start up the engine briefly and then re-tighten the bolts. Those 2 strokes aren't that critical about alignment unless you have other issues.. Keep it touch..

Norm

Has anyone else ever used this method? Is it effective?

I don't understand how this would work. How do you add or remove shims? Seems to me that is you just re-tighten the bolts the motor would go back to the same place.

Lou

YES, please explain further.
4Tec, I know you work for a "dealership" but why does this work?
If already out of alignment, how does this align the shaft?

Why not use a laser? I was thiniking of inseting one into a stub shaft that could be slid into the drive end of the impeller. Any snags to that approach?

I also am considering making my own rigid tool (put the lathe to good use) :eek:) Does anyone have any dimensions they would be willing to forward?

You are aligning the motor not the pump.A laser will always show you the centre point of the crankshaft even if it's 10% off at the front.
For your idea to work,it would have to be mount from the motor and point towards the rear of the ski.it's very doable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back