Sea-Doo 1996 gtx 787 starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeberg

Attached is a video of my seadoo and a what looks to me carburetor issue, preventing starting. It will turn by hand and without plugs, but not with plugs in. I've rebuilt the carbs to factory specs, any other suggestions?

I've rebuilt the carbs to factory specs

That's a lot of fuel coming out the cylinder, when you say factory specs....did you rebuild them using genuine oem kits w/needle & seats? dual kits can run $125 - $136. Did you pressure ck and verify pop off pressure when the seat lifts?

I agree. It sounds weak to me as well. That’s also a lot of fuel coming out, but if you’ve been cranking on it long enough to discharge the battery, that would explain both issues. How long were you cranking on it before this video? If a while, charge the battery and take a video of it trying from fully charged with the plugs out...

I agree. It sounds weak to me as well. That’s also a lot of fuel coming out, but if you’ve been cranking on it long enough to discharge the battery
Well if it wouldn't turn over with plugs in, tells me battery is low from the start.

I'd put it on the charger overnight.

If the engine is full of fuel it won’t crank over with the plugs in from hydrolocking also.

Great comments, thank you for the replys. Battery seemed weak to me as well, but I recharged and had the same issue. Starter is oem denso. It's is the 3rd starter since owning the ski. The replacement kit for the rebuild was not oem, and I did not yes the pop off pressure (which may be the root cause.) Ski was also sunk two seasons ago, don't know if that is important.

If you didn't test the pop off, and seeing how much fuel is coming out of the spark plug holes then you may be flooding your engine.

eplacement kit for the rebuild was not oem

First thing I'd address, get genuine OEM kits and seats/needles.....and ck the pop off, a gauge and associated stuff should run you less than $20.. OSD Marine sells everything you'll need.

If the ski was sunk you may have other issues. Try taking a voltage drop on the red wire between the starter solenoid and the starter. Also take a voltage drop across the solenoid You may also have a bad engine ground.

I had a guy that sunk his Yamaha.... I tested everything and was getting voltage everywhere I should have gotten but inside the wire was corroded and it could not carry the amperage. Did you try jumper cables on the starter directly??

I chased a newly rebuilt engine that would not turn over with the plugs in. I connected a 1000CCA battery in series with a brand new battery in the ski. Still would not turn over the engine. Ended up that the brand new battery was bad. One can imagine all the things I checked and rechecked. The bad battery caught me completely by surprise. Often it is the problem you least expect. Good Luck !!

I connected a 1000CCA battery in series with a brand new battery in the ski. Still would not turn over the engine. Ended up that the brand new battery was bad. One can imagine all the things I checked and rechecked. The bad battery caught me completely by surprise.

That bad battery saved your bacon.

If it had been good, putting it in series with other battery would have put 24 volts into the system...not good.

Sorry, "series" was just a general term not technical. I connected the jumper cables from the 1000 CCA battery to the New battery and still the starter would not spin the engine with the spark plugs installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back