SE Michigan expert Mercury mechanic, does one exist?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LSC101

Hello. New to this site and with a question. I have been in search of a trustworthy expert mechanic that really knows his stuff when it comes to mercury jet motors.

Two years ago when I had my powerhead replaced, I went to Colony Marine in St. Clair Shores. In the end they did a fine job, but come to find out the young mechanic that performed the work stated that he did not work on those motors very often and could not answer very many questions.

Desperately in search of someone reliable. If anyone could help with the recommendation that would be great.

A Mercury authorized warranty dealer is your best bet, b/c they should have experience, training, documentation and diagnostic equipment for servicing the Mercury outboards. The sportjet is essentially an outboard Mercury sitting on top of a rather simple gear box.

I totally agree with you. However, Colony Marine is an authorized warranty repair dealer and that was the experience I had as written above. I would really like to find a mechanic that has the experience and knowledge of these specific engines.

That's the problem. As soon as that is coupled to a jet they don't want to touch it. Had friends go thru this last summer with a Sugar Sand with a Merc in it. I wish they wouldn't have bought it, but they didn't listen. When it broke it was 4 weeks before they got it back. A young guy at the dealer took it as a side job.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yep, I just don't understand it. I have several friends within my close circle that have jet boats with Mercury power. Yep, I just don't understand it. I have several friends within my close circle that have jet boats with Mercury power. They are extremely popular around my area. Any mechanic that works around here and Masters these engines could really cash and I'm sure and continue with a lot of repeat business.

The list of excuses dealers gave these folks I know was hysterical. My favorite....we don't work on jet boats. LOL, they didn't have a problem with the pump, the dang thing wouldn't start----nothing to do with the pump. Just sucks for the owners that they have a Merc black sheep.

The real problem (IMHO) is not many mechanics look forward to working on Merc outboards. Most of the blown up ones that come through here are being re-powered with Yamaha or Evinrude and remnants go to the scrap heap. Thus the black cloud extends to sportjets of course.

There could be an impressive pile of blown up EFI outboards just around the corner from you and probably someone is picking through it and knows how to put the pieces back together. I wouldn't give up on it if I owned one although, sportjets seem to be few and far between around here probably b/c they all go to the same shop (not our shop)? I don't see many on the water here, either.

So you're on the right track I think, there's someone around you who knows them. Maybe he retired 5 years ago?

Back