Screw leaked oil beside grate in hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Fisher

Hey guys, new to this. I have a 2001 sea doo sportster 1800, it was working great, then on way back home started losing power. I was going 45ish, then dropped to 35ish, then quit. Started back up about 5 mins later, hauled it out of water, and noticed basically a whole fishing line attached to drive shaft. Anyways removed fishing line, and in the process I unscrewed a screw on the starboard side of boat near grate close to drive...it leaked some oil...not much, but enough. Do I need to put more oil in it before testing to see if the fishing line was the original problem. Thx!

Since the boat is new to you perhaps, it would be a good idea to top off the gearbox oil you speak of, also gives you a chance to change it in case it's been a while (once per season) in case water gets into gear box then you'll know b/c if water gets in you're probably losing oil and lack of oil damage is ouch expensive. Look for a milky color, refill using factory manual instructions (remove two plugs, one for fill port and one for vent port then fill until oil comes out vent port at which point it's full) The correct oil is mercruiser premium sterndrive gear oil.

Since the boat is new to you perhaps, it would be a good idea to top off the gearbox oil you speak of, also gives you a chance to change it in case it's been a while (once per season) in case water gets into gear box then you'll know b/c if water gets in you're probably losing oil and lack of oil damage is ouch expensive. Look for a milky color, refill using factory manual instructions (remove two plugs, one for fill port and one for vent port then fill until oil comes out vent port at which point it's full) The correct oil is mercruiser premium sterndrive gear oil.

Yes and no......

Yes..... Drain and replace the oil you have. It's a new-to-you boat... it's just a good idea. Make sure there isn't any water in it... and look for metallic flecks.

No..... Do not use the stern drive oil. It's not strong enough for the SportJet gear case. Use the Mercury/Quicksilver High performance gear oil.

Hey guys, new to this. I have a 2001 sea doo sportster 1800, it was working great, then on way back home started losing power. I was going 45ish, then dropped to 35ish, then quit. Started back up about 5 mins later, hauled it out of water, and noticed basically a whole fishing line attached to drive shaft. Anyways removed fishing line, and in the process I unscrewed a screw on the starboard side of boat near grate close to drive...it leaked some oil...not much, but enough. Do I need to put more oil in it before testing to see if the fishing line was the original problem. Thx!
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back