SBT parts for non seadoo applications

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffspx

I got a feeling i might already know the answer to this, but how is sbt for parts for a kawi stand up ski?
I'm so conditoned not to use aftermarket parts for seadoo.
I will be rebuilding the top end to a 650sx and replacing the drive shaft thru bearing, steering cable, and throttle cable. Machine is completely stock. No performance mods to it at all.
Thanks for any advice.

Well... you know the answer... but if you are trying to keep a project price in check... then the "hard parts" are ok I guess. I've used their driveshaft bearings on Polaris skis with good results, and the cables are OK. Just lube them before putting them in the ski. Engine parts... that up to you, but I wouldn't use them .

Thats kind of what I was looking to hear. I will probably use them for the cables and bearing. For a top end kit, what brand would you recommend?

I personally like Wiseco, JE, or OEM pistons for high power density engines. (like these Rotax engines) I guess I don't have a problem with WSM... but buy them from a reputable dealer, (I think there are some boot leg versions out there) and do the work yourself. My islandia has WSM pistons in it, and they are fine. But the OEM Mercury pistons are heavy, and it only makes 240 HP, it's 2,500 cc's (low power density) and only turns 6300 rpm.

I question how well the rebuilds are from SBT sometimes. I've seen some go for a long time... and I've seen a few give up the first season. If you get the extra warranty... that's fine... but you pay for it.

I would suggest getting WSM parts from Pwc Muscle @hfgreg. I wouldn't even consider SBT as a last resort asi I have seen too much of their parts be absolute junk and fail immediately.

Hehe. You guys are making me a little nervous about the 587 sbt rebuilt motor in my spi lol. Seems good for now, hope it holds on.
I bought the 650 blown up and turned it into a backyard drink cooler lol. Ive wanted another stand up and all the used ones are going for high dollar around here it looks like.
So I decided to do up the 650sx i have. Its a basket case since i took apart 4 years ago, so now ive got to go thru everything. I will use hfgreg for parts. Ive been eyeing the maptuner for my spark he was gonna be tye vendor I use.
Thank you

My first ski was a 89' 650 SX so I say go for it. I have been using WSM parts for 25 years without a single issue. Get that thing going! Hfgreg will also hook you up as a forum member on WSM engine parts too.

Man... I must have some really good luck with SBT. I swear by their crankshafts, and for the money they can't be beat! I have also had good luck with their gaskets, pistons (coated), and even their needle and seats. So far I have had 9 of their crankshafts and all of them are still going strong today. 2 of my skis are highly modified and often see 7k+ RPMs and I have 3 seasons on those cranks. SBT does millions in sales every year and like any manufacture there will be some problems from time to time. Personally, I have been really happy with them.

Last edited:
Their cranks are probably ok and their pistons seem fine. Their gasket kits and carb parts are not up to the quality of others.

The biggest issue is shipping costs. I can get an OEM seadoo crank for the same or less as an SBT one once you add shipping to and from.

As far as I know you can't buy rebuilt OEM crankshafts from Sea Doo anymore. Even when you could I don't remember them ever being that cheap. I think the cheapest price I got from SHS Powersports was almost $400 (shipped). I was able to get a SBT 787 crank for $300 shipped and with that extra $100 I saved, I sent my impeller off to impros to have the worx package done. :)

Out of curiosity what problems have you had with their gasket kits? Fitment and quality all seemed very similar to OEM to me. So far I have used these gasket kits without problems: Tigershark Daytona 1000, multiple Sea Doo 580, 720, 800, and 951, and Kawasaki 1100ZXi. I even bought a set of needle and seats from them for a 96 SPX that I flipped. The ski ran great after I installed the rebuild kits in them, but can't comment on longevity since I only had it a few months, but I would try them in my personal ski next time.

Cranks are still available from seadoo..
720 = $373
787 = $373
951 = $419

Like I said in California the issue is shipping to and from SBT because you have to use their shipping puts the price over OEM for me.

The seals are lesser quality than oem and the gaskets are thinner and harder. They might not cause issues but they are not the same quality as OEM or WSM.

I just called SHS Powersports and they told me rebuilt crankshafts are no longer available. Who is your source for OEM rebuilt crankshafts? I don't plan on buying one but i'm curious.

Understood.. For me it ended up being quite a bit cheaper. I think CA residents will pay quite a bit more no matter what it is when it comes to shipping.

Interesting. So far all of my gaskets and seals have been great. I think the oldest one I have in the field is 6 years old. The gaskets seemed identical to me. Pretty sure I took some pictures side by side because I was wondering if they were made at the same factory but just packaged differently. When I get home i'll check my computer and see if I can fine them. If I can I will upload them.

I have been getting them from Pro Caliber and they still list them on their site.

All the SBT gaskets I have held in my hand were black and gray and were very hard. Not the soft green like OEM and others. Maybe they were older kits since I have not ordered anything SBT for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back