RXT-X 255 not going past 50 MPH when usually goes 70

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickmamo

I verified I was using correct key, even tried learner key and it topped at 40 as it should.

I had mid grade ethanol gas in it but burned most of it out last use a few months ago at less than 1/4 tank (when it beeped).

on the ethanol mid grade fuel it ran a little rough at first but once it warmed up ran at 70 mph no prob, As soon as I could I filled up with NON ethanol gas and added stabil to kill the residual ethanol left in tank especially because it was going to sit for 3 months (i started and oiled every 3 weeks instead of winterizing)

Last week when I went to start it the battery was too low to start so I removed it and charged it up, replaced and started fine repeatedly. but perhaps i bumped something or maybee some kind of limiting feature if poor quality gas detected, or did my wide open key suddenly become limited,.. etc... what do i check first?

Are you getting full RPM?

If it seems OK, but just not topping out... Your supercharger could be slipping. Remove the intake tube, and try to spin the impeller by hand.

How many hours are on the ski?

Also check to make sure the hose between the supercharger and intake did not slip off.

If the items that DOC and JoeZ check out OK then replace the spark plugs
(3) NGK DCPR8E. They have a habit of fouling after they sit for awhile.

I had the same problem with a 05 RXT, it was the supercharger washers, needed a rebuild. Although it might be something simpler as your hoses.

New

I purchased it new about 9 months ago, has less than 6 hours, and i took the plugs out and cleaned them up, they were a little black but no deposits or obvious fouling.

>> Are you getting full RPM?
When I started it it was jumping from 5-7k rpm and running chunky, then when it warmed up a few min later it did not seem to rev anymore after reaching 49 mph, still had about 1/4 throttle left as if the key was limited to 50 but it's a fully open key and was at 70 mph last use.
What should the RPMs be at, or how can i tell if it's getting full rpm while trailered?

>> Remove the intake tube, and try to spin the impeller by hand.
Do I take off the grate on bottom to get to the intake tube?

How many hours are on the ski?
less than 6

>> Also check to make sure the hose between the supercharger and intake did not slip off.
I suspect it is something like this, can you be more specific on where to locate and identify the supercharger and hose,... I am not very familiar with the engine components but I do know it has both an internal and external intercooler,...is it similar to an intake manifold on a car that i am looking for the hose to connect to?

>> then replace the spark plugs
Can I get these plugs from an auto parts store and what brand is the best for this model? is there one that is considered high perf that would work better? i assume they can just match up the numbers if i bring one in.

>> I had the same problem with a 05 RXT, it was the supercharger washers, needed a rebuild. Although it might be something simpler as your hoses.

I assume it is a hose issue or spark plugs, will check both, if it is indeed a washer prob on a 6 hour old unit would that be a warrantty issue or a wear and tear item? i have extended 2 year warranty but still on original plan

Thanks for all your replies and thanks in advance for additional replies

I located teh two large hoses on the supercharger, both firmly attached, i followed one with ribs around engine that goes to front, assuming this is the intake i checked the hose coming out the side up near the front near gas tank and it was ok though a lil shaky since it's connected to rubber but attached. I checked every hose i could find and everything seems firmly attached.

I was told to check for water in air filter and that there is check valve to be replaced if so...i located the check valves (well i can get to one up front) but not sure how to open the check valve to test for water. is it pull out or twist? i dont wanna break it trying the wrong way.

One hose that i am curious about is a tiny hose that has a lil yellow plug which sits in a lil slot in the plastic cover on top the valve covers it seems to run all the way around to the engine, what is it for? should it be open or closed?

Also was told to check fuel filter since i used additives for octane and stabil there could be clogged filter,...i think i located where it should be...by following fuel line to front, on top of gas tank is a ring with an assembly in it...is that where it's located? and will fuel spill out ot backflow from the fuel line if i remove it?

I'm going to go ahead and replace the spark plugs for good measure...is there a specific brand that is better? or a version that will spark better with crappy gas?

I also plan on siphoning out any reamining fuel and replacing with fresh ethanol free high octane w/o any additives of course once filter checked or replaced.

Limited due to BUDS

Apparently I need to release the pressure in the gas system with BUDS software which is dealer only so I am limited on what i can perform. So gas filter is out. I'm going to replace the plugs and try it out, if still prob i'll just take it in for 10 hour service early and tell them about problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back