RXT engine removal for cleaning after SC failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

petey

We have an 05 RXT that had the SC clutches fail.

I'm in the process of pulling the engine but the jet pump is stuck on the craft. I have the nozzle/gate off along with the 4 nuts off the pump.

Where do these tend get seized? The craft was used in salt/ brackish water so I know I'm dealing with more corrosion then others.

This is not first SC failure on this machine but all other previous work was done at the dealer so I'm going to assume sealers were not used.

Anyone have any tricks for me to try?

I've tried a deadbolt, and some taps with slide hammer, but I did not put a lot of force onto it for fear of cracking the aluminum.

They may have used a sealant to put it on the last time , the 4 nuts is all that holds the pump on , you may have to try prying it to break it loose.

Well I got the pump off finally and it was corrosion around the 4 mounting studs.

Now its the stainless collar for the carbon seal. Its not seized to the shaft I can get it to spin around without moving the shaft, but I can not get it move. I do have the shaft holder plate and the seal tool and am still having no luck.

any tricks for this?

Can I pull the engine with out takeing out the shaft? Do I cut the collar with a grinder?

You can cut the collar but it is possible you will damage the shaft.

The collars are a bitch. They have 2 rubber rings that when dry actually grip tightly or they form rust ahead or in between them. Any type of penetrating fluid will often help.

Someone told me before they cut out the bellow and it allowed them to pull the shaft from the PTO housing without pulling the collar. I have never done it, so maybe those with more experience can comment regardless, you would still need to deal with the collar and shaft.

I know many who have worked at the collar though and almost all get it out. Normally fluid and or heat. In the end. If you are using heat, make sure you wet blanket the area or use an induction tool.

I have shot PB blaster on each side of the collar.

I used the tool the push the boot back and there is no rust ring preventing movement of the collar. it just has no aft movement

I'm thinking if I can get the engine out before the drive shaft I will be able to pull it out from inside then fight with the collar on the bench where I have more room.

I assume the head melts the o-rings.

The driveshaft goes a long way into the engine , you need to get the stainless hat collar free first. There's a C clip and two O rings under it , if you cut the boot out it will give you room to get it loose. If you don't have the proper tool you might think about getting one , I made my own , because when you go to assemble it you'll need something to push it back so you can get the clip in. Another hint is that you should do all of this with the pump in the machine , otherwise the shaft just moves when you don't want it to , and you're putting unwanted force on the output sleeve inside the engine. Remember to get the output bearing loose also , I just use a crescent wrench adjusted to the shaft size and a plastic hammer and tap it towards the engine. New OEM O rings on the shaft are a must afterwards. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have the aftermarket tool that looks like a giant "S" and the holder . The collar spins easily around the drive shaft but my best guess is the O-rings are stuck to the shaft and the collar is spinning around the O-rings.

I bought a mini butane cooking torch for another project and tried heating the collar with no luck. I can't seem to control the flame from the MAP torch for my liking and I have not broken out the big torch to see if I can get the flame small enough.

I need some advice on what to replace now that I got the engine out and apart.

The secondary pump was very chewed up so both rotors will be replaced. The casing has some good groves in it, and it appears my only options are to get a remained one from SBT or use what I have. Is the pump housing usable?

20230825_165632.jpg20230825_165653.jpg

Is the primary pump usable? The inner rotor looks almost the same at the outer.
20230825_164944.jpg20230825_164953.jpg

Thanks for all your help and advice so far!
Pete

Back