rxpx 260 engine failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

michael23

hi guys,
I have a 2014 rxpx 260 with 62 hours on it.
I was riding at lake negambi over the weekend and had complete power failure.
went to restart and it was like the engine was seized.
brought it to my local jets ski mechanic who diagnosed the problem the same day.
Apparently the fly wheel bolt have come loose, he said he could see metal flakes in the oil.
was quoted anywhere near 7000 for a full engine rebuild.
I've checked the oil myself and couldn't see any metal.
is this a common problem?
how hard is it to bull the engine apart and have a look myself?

You need to ask the mechanic more questions or give us more info. Diagnosing flywheel bolt failure without a very thorough inspection and some disassembly would make me suspicious at the very least. The flywheel bolt issue has been pretty much solved once they switched to the stretch bolts which I think was around 2011. Not to say that it couldn't happen but the likelihood has gone way down from what used to be a fairly common failure and the mechanic may be relying on past experience on older styles that have more failures.

1. Why does he think it is flywheel bolt failure? Get a detailed answer in exactly what he took apart and saw.
2. Where did he see metal flakes in the oil? Was it in the oil filter? Anywhere else?
3. What disassembly did he do?

I think there are a dozen more likely problems anywhere from pump bearing failure, sc failure, all the way to throwing a rod through the side of the block that are just as likely to be your issue.

$7k for a complete engine rebuild is definitely on the high side. Doing the work yourself is not difficult if your are familiar with high performance 4 stroke engines. It is not difficult to pull the motor and service manuals can be found for free online.

Was 2014 still the 4tec, or did they already switch to the ACE? In any case, $7k to rebuild sounds very high, I would think you can find a whole motor for less...

You need to ask the mechanic more questions or give us more info. Diagnosing flywheel bolt failure without a very thorough inspection and some disassembly would make me suspicious at the very least. The flywheel bolt issue has been pretty much solved once they switched to the stretch bolts which I think was around 2011. Not to say that it couldn't happen but the likelihood has gone way down from what used to be a fairly common failure and the mechanic may be relying on past experience on older styles that have more failures.

1. Why does he think it is flywheel bolt failure? Get a detailed answer in exactly what he took apart and saw.
2. Where did he see metal flakes in the oil? Was it in the oil filter? Anywhere else?
3. What disassembly did he do?

I think there are a dozen more likely problems anywhere from pump bearing failure, sc failure, all the way to throwing a rod through the side of the block that are just as likely to be your issue.

$7k for a complete engine rebuild is definitely on the high side. Doing the work yourself is not difficult if your are familiar with high performance 4 stroke engines. It is not difficult to pull the motor and service manuals can be found for free online.

So he reckons he found metal once taking the oil filter off. (I took it off and found nothing)
He then continued to say that either way the engine has to come out. 7K was worst case scenario and that being a full rebuild with forged internals. He said the only real was to diagnose the problem is to pull apart the motor but 70% of the time its stuffed

It is normal to have metal in the oil filter. If your mechanic is using that as the basis for a possible full rebuild you need to find a new mechanic.
What is his basis for saying the engine has to come out? We need more details if you really want help and it sounds like we could save you thousands.
In my opinion, there is never a $7k worst scenario. You can buy a complete rebuilt motor direct from BRP and have it installed for less.

It is normal to have metal in the oil filter. If your mechanic is using that as the basis for a possible full rebuild you need to find a new mechanic.
What is his basis for saying the engine has to come out? We need more details if you really want help and it sounds like we could save you thousands.
In my opinion, there is never a $7k worst scenario. You can buy a complete rebuilt motor direct from BRP and have it installed for less.

Everything in Oz is more expensive.... (including Bundaberg Ginger Beer; why I can buy it for half the price in the US is beyond me....)

Sounds like a great time to learn how to wrench on your own ski. Lots of people, myself included, consider it a fun hobby. The manuals are free from the internet, and any special tools are readily available on eBay. The alignment tool will be an expensive item though, as it's very bulky/heavy and will cost a fortune to ship to another country. When then engine goes back in, it'll have to be re-aligned. But even buying all the tools, you'll still come out on top vs paying a mechanic to learn how to do it, screw it up, then do it right, all at your own expense. I'd say you have a better chance getting this right by using a manual, this forum, and your own two hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back