rusty trailer springs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster32940

Does anyone have any experience with trailer springs rusting out or being a problem on a relatively new boat? I have a 2008 speedster 200 that I bought within the last year. The springs on the trailer look quite rusted, and I don't know if that is just a cosmetic / surface issue, or if I should be concerned.

If you are putting it in salt water... then they are rusting. You need to clean them after every use... and spry them with Seadoo "Anti-Corrosion oil." (or any good silicon spry oil)

If you are putting it in salt water... then they are rusting. You need to clean them after every use... and spry them with Seadoo "Anti-Corrosion oil." (or any good silicon spry oil)

I agree. I have been spraying them down when getting home, but the other owner who had it for a couple years may not have. Just wondering what the risk of real rust damage might be, or if it is just likely surface / superficial rust.

The only way to tell is to dig into the problem deeper. Either way, if no preventative steps are taken its only going to get worse. I would hope it was only surface where you could grind/buff it off and respray.

The best thing to do
is during the off season take them off and clean them up really good with a wire brush on a grinder or drill
then spray them with some rubberized undercoating spray can works fine

If it was my boat... and there was any sign of pitting in the springs... I would just replace them. For $40 or $50... I wouldn't take the chance of having one break.

Trailer springs will always rust.1st up it is oxidization.Thats the coating of rust you get on them.The u-bolts that hold the axle to the spring should be the same.It's the type of steel the springs are made of.If they are washed with fresh water and sprayed after each use,10 years or more before you have trouble.(wd-40 or any silicone spray).
They are made of a high carbon steel and rust very quickly.But it's only on the surface.Look at the blades of a forklift that have been wet.They have rust on them overnight.It's a very similar steel used.Spring steel can start to rust in 7 minutes in humid climates.
My point is,clean and spray them and the only thing you will have to worry about is the shackle bushes.Hope this helps

Trailer springs will always rust.1st up it is oxidization.Thats the coating of rust you get on them.The u-bolts that hold the axle to the spring should be the same.It's the type of steel the springs are made of.If they are washed with fresh water and sprayed after each use,10 years or more before you have trouble.(wd-40 or any silicone spray).
They are made of a high carbon steel and rust very quickly.But it's only on the surface.Look at the blades of a forklift that have been wet.They have rust on them overnight.It's a very similar steel used.Spring steel can start to rust in 7 minutes in humid climates.
My point is,clean and spray them and the only thing you will have to worry about is the shackle bushes.Hope this helps

Thanks, i'll do the WD 40 thing on them and continue to watch closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back