Running light not working on trailer - replace entire light or can I replace bulb?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

byebye

Hi all. I noticed the running light on the left side of my trailer does not work. Blinker & brake are still OK.

Can you open up these lights to replace a bulb or would that ruin the seal?

Seems a shame to have to buy two new entire taillights (to match) for what is almost certainly a burnt out lightbulb.

Generally, there is a few screws in the lens. Just take them out, and change the bulbs. If they are LED's... then you replace the unit.

LED type lights are normally a cluster if bulbs. For example, my marker light has 30 LED bulbs. If one goes out the others still work.

I'm guessing you have traditional bulbs based on your description.

If they are the rectangular lenses like many trailers have. There is a squeeze tab on the bottom you can push and wiggle out the entire bulb assembly without removing the main lens itself.

If it were me, I would use this opportunity to modify it and swap em both to LED, or just redo all the trailer lights with LED. Im just always looking for an excuse to improve stuff though..lol

They are really cheap too. I bought everything off ebay for the old speedster trailer and did the whole thing with new lights and wiring for under 100 bucks. I will do the 200 over the winter.

IMAG0370.jpg I was afraid of something like this - after removing the screws in the lens, inside is basically a sealed bubble with bulbs in it. Doesn't look like that sealed bubble comes open, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone wrestled with one of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get good detail of the picture via my phone.

But it is doesn't open simply cut the plastic. In theory it Is trashed as you can't use it as it.

Cut it open, replace the bulb, use dielectric grease and put it back on the trailer.

Go led, you will not regret it. I got my marker leds at academy and my bar on ebay. I took the chance to completely rewire. I will be doing the tail/turn this off season since its too early to say the "w" word as noted in other post around the site.

I be clear, LED is the way to go.

My point was, to get it fixed cut the dome. But I'd be online ordering LEDs.

In theory it Is trashed as you can't use it as it.

You know, I said very similar words to my kids today as I tried to fix a large water rocket...it's in the garbage now :) The problem here is that, if I wreck the light I'm in worse shape, because driving with NO tail light is worse then having blinker/brake work without the running light.

I'll check with my dealer but this this looks > 20 bucks. I'm considering the LEDs in the link below, but they have four wires (white red brown blue) whereas my trailer has only three wires (white red dark). Think that would be a problem, or is it just some "ground thing"??

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-LED-Tail-...ccessories&hash=item565312b7d2&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

EDIT: I posted this as you guys were saying go LED. Totally agree. Let me know about the 3 wire vs 4 wire thing though, if you know. Those LEDS have have four wires (white red brown blue) whereas my trailer has only three wires (white red dark). Cheers..Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I said very similar words to my kids today as I tried to fix a large water rocket...it's in the garbage now :) The problem here is that, if I wreck the light I'm in worse shape, because driving with NO tail light is worse then having blinker/brake work without the running light.

I'll check with my dealer but this this looks > 20 bucks. I'm considering the LEDs in the link below, but they have four wires (white red brown blue) whereas my trailer has only three wires (white red dark). Think that would be a problem, or is it just some "ground thing"??

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-LED-Tail-...ccessories&hash=item565312b7d2&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

EDIT: I posted this as you guys were saying go LED. Totally agree. Let me know about the 3 wire vs 4 wire thing though, if you know. Those LEDS have have four wires (white red brown blue) whereas my trailer has only three wires (white red dark). Cheers..Paul

Trailers are 4 wire. In the rear they only need 3 wires per side.

So you have,,,,

Markers/tail lamps
Left turn
Right turn

Markers/tail lamps are all tie together no matter location. Right and left are dedicated. There will be a ground as well.

The 4 wire light will do what you want with no issues.

This is what I'm going with. Should be coming in the next week or so. You will need to run a 5th wire though and completely by-pass the wire harness box. The box merges the brake and turn single to one line on each side. What I did with my utility trailer was run that 5th line for the brake lights. When I get mine in I will take pictures of my setup. I had to do it this way because any wiring harness I got didn't seem to work well with LED brake lights on the car. When I would turn the single on the brake lights on the car would blink too.

I pulled the trigger on those ebay LED taillights.

I'll be back in a month to let you know how I made out. Sounds like I'll have lot's of support here if I need it :) Thanks all.

You can't beat it. Low cost, free shipping, individual brake and signal lights for better clarity, very low current draw........ oh, and submersible. I'll have pictures of mine installed once they come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back