Rub rail color

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertime

Does anyone know of a way to change the color of the rub rail without replacing it. I really want to get rid of the purple.

i know i've seen green trim painted black and it worked ok, right up till you bump the dock once, somebody might chime in regarding a permanent stain.

Wow, don't think I could see my rub rail on my Challenger, any other color. What color are you thinking about? Even with my after market graphics, the rub rail is still purple. I've not considered it, maybe I should play with the color a bit.

Being plastic or vinyl, it is so hard to find something that would stick to it, and not come off, either by a bump to a dock, or over years exposed to UV rays. The rub rails are cast in the color we get them, so if you paint or stain over them, its only surface and would only be temporary.

Betcha that SeaDoo doesn't make their own rub-rail. I just did a google search there's hundreds of different designs and colors I didn't do a specific search but I'll bet there's one that will work with the challenger. Search "boat rub rail insert".

Lou

I'm sure that seadoo doesn't make it... but it's not standard either. When I rebuilt the boat in my avatar, the original rail was cracked, and hard. I looked around for a generic replacement, but couldn't find anything. Eventually, I came across someone selling a new, silver rub rail for the 2003 LE. It was still a little expensive ($75) but I needed it, and it was still cheaper than the dealer. ($300)

SO... if you are wondering why that boat's colors got changed to teal and silver... it's because that's the color my rail was.

With that said... there is no way to paint, or stain that rail. IF... you want it to be black... you may be able to dye it, but if it's old and hard... it's not going to work. If you try to paint it... it's going to look bad very quick.

64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i used a black fusion plastic paint and it looked awsome and worked excellent so i think it can be done and it also didnt chip off as easy as you think, there are a lot of spray paint out there for plastic now, it took a lot longer to tape everything and eliminate the over spray than to do the job

i used a black fusion plastic paint and it looked awsome and worked excellent so i think it can be done and it also didnt chip off as easy as you think, there are a lot of spray paint out there for plastic now, it took a lot longer to tape everything and eliminate the over spray than to do the job

I've never heard of this paint, but like he said, there is a lot more parts in our products than there used to be. So, why not come out with a product we can use. Even though I don't have a need to change my color, I think I will look for this type paint and put it on plastic to see how long it lasts without fading.

Like Seadoolou and Dr.Honda said, they don't make it. Also mentioned was the type. I had a Catilina 29Ft sailboat that had a large portion missing from a hurricane. I googled rub rail and came up with many companies that made it. But, the one company that kept popping up in links from other online distributers was Taco Metals. They not only sell the rub rail, but the framing that holds it. So, if you have a problem finding the exact stuff, you can order the complete kit and change it all out. I was fortunate. They sold the exact material for my rub rail. I was able to purchase a piece of the metal framing, then but the rub rail in a sectioned length. If anyone is ever looking, I'd recommend you give them a look see, you never know what you might find that works. You will need to know the exact size and shape of your existing rub rail. Their rub rail is advertised and shown in pix with the measurements. One piece (like the "T" piece) could fit 3 or 4 different rails because of the measurements. So, be ready and have your measurements to quicken your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back