rpm surge 2003 sportster 4tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drdjewel

55 hrs, new plugs. just above idle runs rough with alot of surging until about 1/3 throttle, then runs fine with good power. Tach does not work, so I can't give exact rpm. Any ideas? thanks.

I have the same problem. Surges around 200 rpms at 2000. 2004 Sportster without SC. Did you find out anything?

some success

My initial thought is that it could be the TPS - throttle position sensor. And is still may be. But it is an expensive part ($200+) and not easy to get to. You need to take off the throttle assembly. But I just had an experienced mechanic do some routine maintenance and he noticed that something was missing. Part of routine maintenance is lubricating the throttle assembly. There is a fitting on the throttle body into which you spray lubricant peroidically. This assembly is usually capped. Mine was missing. So we attached a 2 ft piece of silicone tubing onto that assembly to facilitate spraying lube in there. I then clamped that. It seems to have helped. I would not say it eliminated the problem, but it seems better. It is possible that having that assembly "open" allows air to get sucked in, sort of like a manifold leak. So, check if you have that fitting. Also, I notice this problem is worse when the engine is cold. Improves a bit after running. Lastly, I find the engine settles in better when you overshoot your intended rpm on the throttle then back down to where you want it, as opposed to inching up. These fuel injected engines are finicky - you are relying on a sensor to formulate the mix rather than a simple carb. Let me know if any of this helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back