Rpm cut out at 3800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorbickel

My 96 Sea-Doo challenger cuts out at 3800 rpm and acts like it misses. Ran one day the next it won’t go to 7000 rpms.
I checked the neutral Safty switch
Any ideas what causes this?

Its usually a fuel problem. And when I say usually, I mean like 90% of the time... Go through your fuel system and check for air leaks, especially at the fuel selector and water separator. If the o ring in the separator is questionable at all, then replace it. If you still have issues and are confident that there are no air leaks, you’ll need to rebuild the carbs with GENUINE Mikuni carb kits and new needles and seats. Follow the sticky in the PWC section, and make sure you get all of the transition ports spotless...

Well finally got time to rebuild the carbs! Use genuine mikuni carb kits. They where dirty and gummy for sure! But after rebuilding the carbs my motor still cuts out and misses at 3800-3850 rpms! Sounds like electrical miss but not sure.
Anyone got any ideas to help me out?

Unplug the red wire to the voltage regulator in the grey electrical box and try it while it’s unhooked. If it runs fine then, you’ll need to replace the regulator. Just keep in mind that the battery is not charging while the wire is unhooked.

I will try this thank you again for you willingness to share your info. It is awesome of you. Hope someday I can repay the favor

I’d say you have a bad voltage regulator. They are inexpensive, so go ahead and replace that...

I’ve had good luck with aftermarket regulators, but some may disagree... The OEM ones tend to fail as well, so I see no reason to spend extra on the factory part in this particular case.

You need to snip that plug wire back 1/4” and screw the cap back on. The coil fires both plugs at the same time, so if you have one dead cylinder, it’s somewhere between the coil and the plug...

Well I snipped both of them. Same resault. I am going to get some new ends and put on tomorrow! Wires seem okay with visual inspection. Not sure what to do if the new ends don’t work. Might have to replace the coil if that dosnt work

I guess I should have checked to see if the back hole was the one not firing. First unhooked the front hole and it ran. Switch to the front hole with the back wire and put the front wire on the back hole and it fired an ran like it did before! I believe it was running on the front hole because it smoked a little like it was flooded from not running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back