Rough or no start after a day out merc 240

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imderrick

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey guys just looking for a little help with some trouble I'm having. I've got a 2000 speedster SK with the 240 efi. Serial number OE38298. My problem is that it starts and runs just fine when it's cold. Smokes a bit but that seems to go away after it heats up. The problem is that after it gets hot it doesn't wanna fire up again. I run the blower on idle and even about a minute or two before I know I'm gonna stop so I don't think air is the issue. It's like the bendex kicks out before it will turn over. If I wait 10 minutes it's a bit better but I got stranded in the water for a while so I bypassed the solenoid and it fired up even better than it normally does with the key. I replaced the solenoid. That didn't help. I replaced the port side temp sensor. That didn't help. I replaced all the spark plugs and that helped run smoother but not my starting problem. Compression is 125 on all cylinders so that isn't the issue. I thought it could be the tps but I'm going to test it with my volt meter before I drop 600 bucks. Any help is appreciated

I've done a test on the tps and I'm getting very sporadic readings. It starts at 0 and jumps up to around .650v but immediately goes to 0 again. Is this an indication of a bad tps or am I testing it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you jumped the solenoid and it turned over strong and fired fast, seems like your problem is electrical. Make sure your starter connections are clean and tight. Same for battery. These engines like a fully charged and strong battery, 800CCA showing 12.5-8V at rest. I've seen other threads on here about TPS testing. I believe they said key on and move the throttle lever. Good luck.

Copy that thanks. I'm surprised no one has made a video on testing the tps considering the problems they give and how frequently they happen. I can't imagine it would be the battery tho because it fires up cold no problems but not hot.. I'll have to test my battery as well as the tps. Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back