Rope on Impeller. Consequences.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLMike

Hello Guys,

We were playing on Anna Maria island yesterday and my friend was towing for the first time, so he sucked the rope in with starter (he says - the ski was not running). He tried several times to start until I came over and pointed at the rope from the hook to impeller tight as a guitar string.
We cut it off, clean the impeller (about couple dozen loops on it) and tried to crank it. Battery was dead!!!! (battery is 6 weeks old). We jump started the ski from the boat and rode it to the ramp (4-5 miles. By the ramp I let it idle and when I tried to go RPMs reved and then ski jerked, like slipping clutch. Ski would start with the problem like the battery did not charge.
Questions:
Is there a impeller clutch?
Can the starter/solenoid be damaged?
What do I need to inspect to make sure I dont get stuck on the water next time?

I would appreciate any help guys.

Machine is 2004 SC GTX

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you are going to find that there is more rope there. Check on both sides of the impeller. Check on the ends of the drive shaft as far you can see. If you find no rope, and are certain there is nothing out there, and chances are you're wear ring has been damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've checked the impeller and there were some weeds on the plate but nothing out of ordinary.

Did I loose the seal?
20150602_200816_resized.jpg
20150602_200841_resized.jpg

Looks like your missing a bolt on your intake grate unless you removed it............ Pull your pump - 4 bolts on the back and 1 bolt for your steering and a spring holding the reverse gate. Pull it straight out and you will have the impeller and pump in your hands. Clean the rope free and make sure the pump spins free before you re-install it.

Thank you for your replies guys,

I will remove the pump tonight and take a look.
I did removed the bolts - was going to pull the plate down, but then read the forum and reevaluated my decision :)

Any comments on the seal on the pictures? looks like something was there

It us usually coated with a plastic or rubber of some sort. I dont think it really matters in that area.

From the look of your drive shaft and intake grate, you'd better take a good look at your jet pump and make sure your seals are good. I'd take off the plastic impeller cover (i.e. remove the 3 screws0 and look for water mixed in with the bearing grease. If there's water in there, you'll need to replace the seals, and possibly other components. If those seals go, they can fill the pump with water and cause it to push the drive shaft toward the engine, losing the carbon ring seal. When that happens water will flood into the engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back