Right engine no response on starter button.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BokehZ

Hey everyone! I've been a long time Sea-Doo Rider and I recently picked up my first boat.

It's a 1998 Sportster 1800 and I absolutely love it!

I've had it about 3 weeks and its worked about as well as a 20+ year old boat should, but yesterday I tried taking it out and my right engine wouldn't start.

Left engine cranks and starts fine, but right engine does nothing. No click, grind, noise or anything to indicate the button is being pressed.

Any ideas on where to look for the culprit? I've already tried swapping the starter switches on the dash and that didnt help.

Could the neutral start switch effect one engine and not the other?

Thanks for your help on this guys, and I look forward to posting here more often!

Hey everyone! I've been a long time Sea-Doo Rider and I recently picked up my first boat... It's a 1998 Sportster 1800 and I absolutely love it!

I've had it about 3 weeks and its worked about as well as a 20+ year old boat should, but yesterday I tried taking it out and my right engine wouldn't start.

Left engine cranks and starts fine, but right engine does nothing. No click, grind, noise or anything to indicate the button is being pressed.

Any ideas on where to look for the culprit? I've already tried swapping the starter switches on the dash and that didnt help.

Could the neutral start switch effect one engine and not the other?

Thanks for your help on this guys, and I look forward to posting here more often!

Check for power (12 v )to the starter side of the selenoid when you hi the start button, that will tell you if the selenoid is working and if the starter is the culprit.

Thanks everyone! You all were spot on.

Once I realized it was in the black box at the front of the engine, it was a pretty simple and cheap ordeal swapping out for the new solenoid. (Aside from spending the time upside down. Definitely felt like a bat!)

I'm going to go ahead and change out my other engine's solenoid while it's still fresh in my memory. It's well worth the time to just go ahead and get it taken care of.

Great job! , yup, to work on jet boats, you need to be young, have long ape like arms, and can hang upside down like a bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back