rev limiter,misfire issue,hello there.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

freaky

first id like to say hello,i am new to this forum and you all have already greatly helped me in past post with other things and or current problems on my 1996 gtx.

here is the story.....took it out of a 2 year sit....bought a new battery. tried to start it but the starter was frozen solid.
put in new starter and put it on the lake....took me a while to start it up (later i found out my prime was being useless,fixed that today) but it seemed to be running good,until i hit anything past 3/4 throttle......sounds like rev limiter.so i did some searching on here and threads said to check out the wear ring.so i took off the pump assembly which seemed fine and headed to a buddies shop.he changed the oil in it for me and said there was no reason for it to be cavatating. put it back on....dropped it in the water same thing....also at this time i replaced a broken motormount. same story.cleaned out the carbs...same story.....and finally i read up on the RAVE valves. so i went to clean them then realized the threads were stripped on the plastic cap.so i went over to my buddies shop and picked up two new ones.....after cleaning everything up and installing them i thought FOR SURE that had to be it......put it on the lake and now ITS WORSE....i use to be able to get it to 6500 rpms and now i only get 5500.....and i forgot to mention new spark plugs were the first thing i tried.
now a little background on my ski......the oil tank has been disabled i mix the fuel myself.40:1...nothing on my dash has EVER worked except the temp light and the oil light does come on when i plug in. i have rarely ever gotten two beeps.and when i do there is no difference.
now my last hope for this is,my temp light has always faintly blinked when cruising.but now it only does not blink when its at a smooth rpm around 4000 and it def blinks when i get the misfire now.
so tonight i removed the sensor to inspect it.and flushed the block and it seamed fine.
would a faulty temp sensor cause it to run like dookie? and why might fixing the RAVE valves make it worse?
any help would be great, and yes i checked the fuses. and the connectors. and my patience.

Welcome.

Where to start......

OK... the sensor. No, on a '96, the temp sensor is only a warning device. It does not send a signal back to the MPEM. But, since you are telling me that you don't get beeps all the time... I'm going to say that your beeper is dead, and you have been riding around, overheating your engine. (assuming the temp sensor checked ok)

If you had a cavitation issue... the engine would be reving up to 7000 RPM... and you wouldn't be moving too well. BUT... since you are saying the RPM's are dropping... we can rule that out.

The RAVE's can be miss adjusted. It seems like most older engines like the caps screwed the entire way in... but I think you may have other problems.

If your engine was having an ignition issue... it would have a "Stutter." Is that what it seems like... or is the engine just loosing power?

Questions:

1) When you removed the oil injection... did you leave the oil tank in the hull to feed the rotary gears?

2) What is your compression?

That ski eats Rectifier/regulators for breakfast. Causes misfire-like symptoms and poor per4formance.

engine is not over heating....i can put my hands on it no problem. and yes its totally stuttering.....like only one cylinder is firing when i give it gas. i have done a royal job on the carbs thinking it was gas related and have to re adjust that. whats the usually turns for low screw? and i know high should have those plastic caps but mine does not.so is it still 0 with high if the caps are gone? im almost certain its something electrical though....same rpm everytime (which the exception of when i replaced the caps on the RAVE valves,its like i said worse now and at 5500)

also i never stumbled onto any post about the regulator......that could actually be my problem from the sounds of the post i saw.

Yep... if you get high voltage (over 14.5v) goofy things happen with the ignition. Put a volt meter on the battery, start the ski, and bring up the RPM's. If it goes above 14.5v... replace the regulator.

ok well i already read that does not sound right.....so would that be my magnito or a short somewhere?. take in mind in the past i have been guilty of charging the battery with it hooked up.where should i start looking? and will this have to do with how its running still?

ahhh it keeps getting better

well i bought a new rectifier and cleaned out the carbs (again) and to my surprise it actually worked 7000 rpm no problem...pretty sure it was the rectifier even though i tried it with the red wire off and it still acted up.
NOW on this sweet test run i was grinning like a fool full throttle up the lake.......then....total shut down:banghead: would not re start although it tried....paddled half way home then it finally started and i idled the rest of the way and noticed a whirling sound coming from the engine......not grinding or banging.took it out and hooked it up to the hose started right up at idle but then ran kinda rough.
im guessing i blew the dang thing up. NOW where should i start looking?

oh and since someone mentioned the oil tank feeding the rotary gears i asked my mechanic and he said to regularly fill the lines and cap them off....well i tried to do that and the left hand side just kept drinking the oil.....and sadly i cant tell if it drained into the hull because when i disconnected the right side line it turns out the oil tank did in fact have oil in it and ran all over the place. i feel like the oil may have just been draining out of the left side and i stripped out that gear. maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back