Replacing Winch Strap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlamb1

I need to replace the Winch Strap on my trailer. I picked up a nice one from West Marine then I went to put it on my trailer and here is where the problem is.

I can't figure out how to get the new strap onto the winch!

I took off the bolt in the middle of the winch only to find that it actually fits inside a shaft that is built into the winch itself. Since the shaft is one solid piece I'm not sure how to secure the strap to it.

I'm thinking now I just have to loop through the strap itself and tighten it around the shaft. Is that right?
Will that be secure? Don't want my strap unspooling and rolling down the road.

Anyone had a similar situation? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

un wind your new winch, and at the end there is some sort of buckle, take the pin that holds it in place on the trailer slip it through the loop of your new winch and re bolt it back into place!

un wind your new winch, and at the end there is some sort of buckle, take the pin that holds it in place on the trailer slip it through the loop of your new winch and re bolt it back into place!

I thought it would be that easy too, but it wasn't because that pin you mentioned actually slid into a solid shaft that was built in to the winch, no way to loop the strap trough the pin and be able to put the pin through the shaft. Pretty terrible design.

Ended up buying a whole new winch assembly, working fine now.

wow, ok so they basically built it thinking that the strap would never wear out or snap... terrible considering what its used for... haha, well glad to hear you got it all sorted out!

I just had the same problem with mine and had to replace the whole unit too. It does seem like a bad design but I guess it probably costs them less to maufacture it so we get stuck replacing the whole unit. Snap! Literally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back