Replacing the Starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman11377

So the starter in the 90 GT is toast. Burnt, broken (magnet), seized (bendix) and rusted. I wasn't able to find a new Sea Doo starter anywhere, and I have already rebuilt this one once (2 yrs ago). I knew better than to buy the el cheapo chinesium junk off amazon, but I thought SBT made a pretty good one. I was suprised to learn that most people seem to regard them as about as bad as the amazon junk. I ordered one and will try to let everyone know how it works over this busy summer. It came in today and will go on tonight when I get home.20220604_160641.jpg20220604_160635.jpg20220608_122753.jpg

I replaced an OEM starter with a SBT starter 4 years ago in a 1996 GSX, (before I started rebuilding my own) and it's still running strong. Never a problem yet. I may be lucky and hopefully you will be too!

The SBT starters are my starters of choice. I won't put anything NEW in the skis except those. They are pricey but only half the price of OEM. I think these will give OEM a run for the money. Good luck with it !!

Sure got a lot of water in that housing. Might be a good idea to remove the cover and do some cleaning.

Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. Yes I will be cleaning everything up before putting the new starter in.

The SBT starters had a great reputation for being junk because they were junk. They didn't fit correctly, would break the shaft and the bendix would explode, absolute garbage.

Hopefully SBT got tired of warrantying them and stepped up the quality. If they are good now I would have no problem recommending them so keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back