Replaced Bunk Boards

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingarmy

This weekends task was to pull the old bunk board off the Shoreland'r trailer and replace the boards, carpet and add TACO Trailer Glyde Sticks. The lake is about an hour away so I ended up jacking up the boat using a screw jack and a 2X4. I placed the jack on the trailer axle with the board in between. (Picture #1) I slowly jacked the boat off until the pressure was off the bunk board. Next was the toughest part. I had already soaked the bolts/nuts with a penetrating lubricant to help get the rusted bolts off. Most of the nuts were too far gone and I had to use vice clamps and a lot of torque. Times like this I wish the bolt would have just broken! I pulled off the bunk board one at a time. Then used a small peice of 2X4 to place over the trailer mount, so if for some reason the jack failed it wouldn't punch a hole through the bottom. I used pressure treated 2X6s that were 8ft. I sawed off 4" since the carpet I bought was only 8ft long. I used the same mounting bracket, wire brushed and then painted with rustoleum. The outdoor carpet was from Lowe's and the TACO Glyde Sticks were from West marine. I used Loctight spray adhesive and Marine staples to put it all back together. They both look brand new. I'll found out this week what a difference the Glyde sticks make when launching and recovering. A definitely easy DIY job.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 253
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 228
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 205
Very nice job. I could not believe how much easier my ski come off the back after I put new carpet on.

Nice job Rampage, now thats another project I should probably put on my list. Just got my ski's but noticed my bunk board carpeting could use some TLC when I got my trailer. Thanks for the info/post.

:cheers:

Thanks for the tread Flying Army.. I have been putting this off contemplating how to lift the boat off the trailer while I worked on the new bunks.. Have also been debating if the glide rails/ teflon strips were worth the money.

Using a board to support the boat worked flawlessly. Just make sure you use something to brace the boat just in case the jack fails. If not you'll probably puch through the boat witht he bunch support brackets. The Glyde Sticks were worth the money and really do make a difference.

I will second that the glides are worth the money.

Makes is considerably easier to launch and retrieve, (NOTE: Do not back in as far as you use to, let the ski do the work. You will look like a pro at the ramp).

Plus,,, you will never need to replace the boards or the carpet in all probability..

good write up, I am goingto try the same thing when on my double trailer because both the bunks and the carpet need replacing. How much where the glides?

I paid $37.90 per set for my glides..

I just checked West Marine, The price must have went up slightly. Did you get the 6 Piece kit for 12' boat? ($39.99) Also what is that material consist of, is it almost like the rubbery material that is used on like bar tops? ( Example under the beer taps ) it looks like it is Non-Slip.

Do you have any more pics of the glyde installed? I have a 99 speedster sk I just bought and would like to install them with new boards. And how do you align them up with the boat? Thanks in advance, Chris

Mcarp,,,
Sorry so slow, just saw the post,,,

I did get the 6 piece kit and it is slippery, not sticky.

The slippery aspect is why it is considerably easier to remove and retrieve the ski. That said, you will want the front winch strap, a safety strap/cable, and read tie downs in place if going down the road. ONLY remove the rear tie downs when putting the ski in. Leave the front straps on.

You want that stuff anyways, but DO NOT tow the ski around without it once you put the slides on,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Mcarp,,,
Sorry so slow, just saw the post,,,

I did her the 6 piece kit and it is slippery, not sticky.

The slippery aspect is why it is considerably easier to remove and retrieve the ski. That said, younwill want the front winch strap, a safety strap/cable, and read tie downs.

You want that stuff anyways, but DO NOT tow the ski around without it once you put the slides on,,,

Awesome , I am going to buy 2 sets for each set of bunks on my double trailer. I have to replace the bunks and the carpet so why not do this. Do you have a good place to find cheap bunk carpet ?

You will need ONLY two sets total. One for each ski. 6 pieces come in each set.

The carpet is a available from many places. I would recommend indoor/outdoor carpet that is like AstroTurf as it is designed to be in the weather. You will never need to replace the carpet I would think. I would think Home Depot or Lowes is the most affordable.

Wrap the board and fold the carpet onto itsel on the bottom. Then staple through this thick part to hold it onto the board. Leave a space of bare wood on the bottom as this helps the carpet and wood dry out faster. If you wrap it all the way is stays wetter longer.

You will need ONLY two sets total. One for each ski. 6 pieces come in each set.

The carpet is a available from many places. I would recommend indoor/outdoor carpet that is like AstroTurf as it is designed to be in the weather. You will never need to replace the carpet I would think. I would think Home Depot or Lowes is the most affordable.

Wrap the board and fold the carpet onto itsel on the bottom. Then staple through this thick part to hold it onto the board. Leave a space of bare wood on the bottom as this helps the carpet and wood dry out faster. If you wrap it all the way is stays wetter longer.[/QUOTE

My Fault, I meant 2 sets total not 4 sets. Now whenyou say leave a space at the bottem do you mean wrap it around and just leave a gap between the carpet so the wood shows on the bottem of the bunk so it dries out quicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back