Removing the Mag. Cover on a 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
There's really nothing special about removing the mag. cover except getting to the bolts and the bottom of the cover. You'll need to raise the engine about 1-1/2". Here's how I did it. I used a come-along with a nylon strap positioned under the front motor mount. I attached the come-along to a beam in the garage.

Just to be safe disconnect the battery and disconnect the plug in the mag. cover. If you need to remove the cover from the ski pinch off the oil feed, remove the main oil feed line and the two small oil injector lines. Remove the main bolt in the top of the motor mount. Lift the engine about 1-1/2" or so with the come-along. Block under the engine to keep the engine in the raised position. Lower the motor slightly and take the tension off the come-along.

Note the number of shims under the front motor mount, I also marked the position of the shim and the mount with a sharpie. Remove the front motor mount (2 bolts). You need to remove the motor mount to get to a couple of bolts at the bottom of the cover. Remove about 10ea. 10mm bolts around the mag. cover, I used a 1/4" drive and a wobble adapter, if the cover has never been removed you're gonna have trouble getting the socket to fit over the bolts, due to the thickness of the engine paint. Once you get the 10mm bolts removed the cover will come right off.

The first time a took the cover off it took 2-3 hours, but a lot of time was spent figuring out how to remove the cover. Long story short, it's not an easy job so make sure the problem you are having is actually inside the cover. Mine was not, it turned out to be the voltage regulator.

Lou

Sorry I didn't take pictures, I wish I had, I was going to take some pictures after the fact but to be honest I really didn't fell like taking the front engine mount out for no reason. If I do this again I'll be sure to take some pictures.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0582.JPG
    100_0582.JPG
    925.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
thats the way i do it, except for i leave the hoses all hooked up on the oil pump, and just take both screws out, and let it hang .

did you have to remove the exaust pipe to do this ? i have to go into there and look around i have no spark and dr honda is suggesting my trigger might be off since i have gone over everything numerous times and cant seem to find reason i have no spark
thx

Back