Removing spray paint from your plastic parts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetskigoodies

So we bought a 96xp with what seemed to be a purple siingle gauge hood. The seadoo was really dirty and it was dark when we went to pick it up.

Washed up

I noticed that it was a yellow hood painted. I tried to remove the paint with a scotchbrite and paint thinner and had minimum success.

I bought some permatex painter remover from Nala that is safe for plastic.

I used about 3/4 of a can and sprayed it on heavy.

Within 30 seconds it started to bubble the paint.

I waited 2 minutes and just rinsed it off with a hose. The paint just peeled right off

There was a couple spots that had some light paint left. I went over it again and it all came off.

The paint is all gone but the hood still needs some tlc.

I will do the [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] trick and use softscrub with bleach and follow it up with wipe new. Hopefully I can bring it back, or I just wasted $25. Either way I am just selling the hood

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you remove the gauge. This stuff destroyed the glass. It also took all the paint off the trim ring of the gauge. The gauge wasnt in the best shape but was very readable before the application but was completely unreadable after. The glass was super etched, pitted, and fogged to the point you could see through it at all

As is now probably $125 plus shipping. I am parting the whole thing. Has a ton of Am stuff on it. Umi steering, r&d trim tabs, r&d ride plate extension, jet dynamics intake grate, kvpi finger throttle, billet fuel cap, am pipe I am told tnt, tracker sponson.

Dang, wish I had know this last year when I restored my XP with a painted hood. Used acetone and a scrub pad which took half a day. Oh well, learn something new every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back