Removing engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanst.onge

I'm trying to remove the engine in my 96 seadoo xp 800 does anyone know how to remove this shaft? I don't have enough room to pull the motor out with it connected. and of course the manual says nothing about removing it lol
242.jpg

Before you pulled the pump or removed the engine mount bolts you needed to pull that silver tophat looking piece in front of the rubber accodian boot back and then remove a metal C clip. That will release the metal hat and let the driveshaft fall out.

It may be a little more difficult now with everything apart.

The metal piece in front of the accordion boot slides up and down the rod are you talking about the sealed boot closest to the engine??

This metal hat needs to be pulled backwards towards the jetpump end to expose the metal "C" retaining clip. It can be a real pain as they tend to stick in place. You then also need to remove at least the small band clip on the rubber boot attached to the engine. The driveshaft can then be withdrawn from the engine.
Take note of any packing shims underneath the engine mounts as they all need to go back in the exact same place they were in.
243.jpg

For what you are doing, just removing the small band clamp will get the shaft out so the engine can then be removed.
I suggest then remove the shaft out from inside the hull then disassemble on a bench etc. Put the engine back in then fit the shaft in through the jetpump end remembering to fit the rubber bellows/carbon ring and the sealing hat.

You will need to pull the pump as well as you will need to align the motoer when putting it back in.

Yes, if you are referring to the boot on the pto flywheel of the engine. That retains grease where splines of the driveshaft go into the pto flywheel.

The accordian looking boot is just there to keep water out and hold the carbon ring against the tip hat with some pressure.

As noted above, the O-ring style is no longer used. Two reasons, they fail and let the collar move and let water into the hull at the Carbon Seal point. Alos, you can not replace the O-ring without pulling the shaft. With the new C-clip, you can replace it without removing the shaft.

Got it all out now thanks for all the help but now that it's out doesn't look like just seized up pistons lol and a bunch of sand/salt in the water jackets. Haven't taken the cylinder head bolts out yet to find out for sure if the cranks locked up to but it's not looking to good lol
259.jpg

Looks like it could be a SBT engine from the silver paint. You might get lucky and still have some warranty left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back