Removing 657

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank ya! Second question. Why is this pitting and should i care about it or just throw a new gasket on and go?

Water sits in there and corrodes it especially in salt water.

If it’s too bad your base gasket will leak. A very thin coat of 1211 on the gasket might help.

Doesn't seem horrible. We don't have salt water, but the ski is 100% oem and has never been rebuilt. This is its first rebuild. Not bad for a 94. Is that aluminum?

I may can put that metal back in, but I'd be afraid of getting the deck height correct. I have mig, tig, and stick in aluminum. If it weren't for having to be in the thousandth I'd probably do it.

I want to re-ring my back cyl. It is 77.94. But all i am finding is a 78.25 ring. Guess I'll have to go elsewhere to find it because that's all I'm coming up with. The front came complete already with rings. I can't find markings. It's all oem, but I'm probably blind and don't see it on the ring.

When i squeezed the ring and measured it was dead on

Last edited:
You can't measure a cylinder accurately with calipers, you need a bore gauge.
The piston will have the size stamped on it. Assuming it is a stock piston and stock size get order standard OEM rings.

I am using a bore gauge. I measured the top jug outline with calipers. The inner bore is 78.09, though I've gotten 78.06 a couple times..... I find it difficult to get the same reading twice even when moving it back and forth to find center. Amazingly the brand new jug and the 25 year old jug are within .08 of each other in the center of the bore.

I've got the top end off and the stator cover and found junk in the bottom. Can i flush that out from under the crank successfully or must i remove the bottom? If i MUST i will but how far do i have to go from here? I would like to pull the mount plate and remove the bottom without taking the timing, stator, flywheel out..... Bet I'm not gonna get that lucky?? The bolts for the rear are under the balancer i know that. What kind of puller is used on the balancer?

I have the flywheel off the stator. I see the 4 lower bolts around the stator plate.

Ps- This is the engine that hooked the exhaust and ate the upper ring. I replaced that whole top end on the front jug.

Last edited:
Side note: unsure if I'm unlucky or this is a common thing, but rear starter bracket was broken. Looks really thin so seems like it would be a common break. I fixed it cause i weld, but I'm going to make a new stronger bracket for that when i get time. If i see other weaknesses I'm going to weld some other high strength items to make the engine better.

You need a pto/impeller removal tool. I just went through removing PTO on my 720 and my 3 800’s. I used a big bench vise, and impeller/pto tool and a long breaker bar. LOTS of heat. Every time I removed each PTO the crank seal behind it was alway ruined. But I planned on replacing crank seals anyways. If you are planning to take the bottom case half off, you should just put new crank seals in anyways. Just for the sake of you already being there.

I'd rather not take it apart. I'm wondering if it will flush clean. Idk how much space there is for stuff to hide under the bottom end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back