Reliability of the 260 engine?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsw222

I did a search but could not find much on this...

What is the reliability like on the 260 engine (more specifically - the RXT-X 260)?

How many hours are they expected to perform for, before major repairs are needed? Or approx how many years of occasional use can be expected? (I live in Pittsburgh, so only have about 5 months a year of riding time... and I work full time, so it will be restricted to nights and weekends)

Anyone have personal negative experiences?

I would absolutely love to get one at the end of the year, but its hard to justify the price... I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that its not going to break after a couple seasons. Ideally I would like a new model with a 4-5 year warranty, but it seems that you can get a used one with trailer for 5+k less than an out-the-door price on a new model. I'm trying to do some research and weigh my options.

Thanks!

I have the 2012 RXT 260 - same motor as the RXT-X 260. First maintenance is after 25 hours of use, which is up from 10 hours for previous years. This indicates to me that they've gotten the engine technology down pretty well and are confident in the quality. I think my manual says SC rebuild after 100 hours. Which, is alot of riding. Especially if you are only going to be riding in the evenings and weekends five months a year. It could take you a few years to hit 100 hours.

If you buy now (new) I think you'd be hard pressed to get that 25 hours in this year for maintenance (mainly an oil change). Expect anywhere from $250 - $300 for that first service. I ride for about an hour and I'm putting $15 - $20 back into the tank. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

My skis have both been flawless so far but I only have 16 hours on the one and 6 hours on the other.

I have the 2012 RXT 260 - same motor as the RXT-X 260. First maintenance is after 25 hours of use, which is up from 10 hours for previous years. This indicates to me that they've gotten the engine technology down pretty well and are confident in the quality. I think my manual says SC rebuild after 100 hours. Which, is alot of riding. Especially if you are only going to be riding in the evenings and weekends five months a year. It could take you a few years to hit 100 hours.

If you buy now (new) I think you'd be hard pressed to get that 25 hours in this year for maintenance (mainly an oil change). Expect anywhere from $250 - $300 for that first service. I ride for about an hour and I'm putting $15 - $20 back into the tank. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

My skis have both been flawless so far but I only have 16 hours on the one and 6 hours on the other.

Thanks for the info! That doesn't sound as bad on fuel as I was thinking.

Approx how much is insurance? My boat is about $250 a year, but I wasn't sure if it would be a lot higher for such a high performance machine like that ski.

Also, do you have a dealer do your winterization? If so, how much would that be (winterize then dewinterize).... if not, is the process pretty easy? For the boat, I store it in an attached garage (as I would the ski), so I just fog the engines and change jet pump oil.

I appreciate the help! This is a big purchase, so I'm happy for all the info I can get :cheers:

Thanks for the info! That doesn't sound as bad on fuel as I was thinking.

Approx how much is insurance? My boat is about $250 a year, but I wasn't sure if it would be a lot higher for such a high performance machine like that ski.

Also, do you have a dealer do your winterization? If so, how much would that be (winterize then dewinterize).... if not, is the process pretty easy? For the boat, I store it in an attached garage (as I would the ski), so I just fog the engines and change jet pump oil.

I appreciate the help! This is a big purchase, so I'm happy for all the info I can get :cheers:

When I bought my first ski (last August), I got insurance through progressive and they charged me $200 for the year. But that was for the 215. When I added the 260 this April, they adjusted the premuims and charged me $77 - to get me through until my renewal in August...so while I can't tell you exactly how much the 260 is yet I don't think it's more than your boat.

I had my winterization done at the dealer and will continue to do so until at least the manufacturers warranty is up. It freezes here in the winter and I don't want to do it myself and have something happen, which would give them the excuse not to cover it. It was $100 for the winterization. You do not have to take the ski back to them for dewinterization - just drop it in the water and go...it might smoke a bit as it clears out the fogging oil but it's fine.

If you already own a boat changing over to a ski should be no problem for you. I didn't know anything about boats or skis until I bought mine last August and from this site and greenhulk I've learned tons. These guys are all very helpful.

Oh and another thing. I don't regret my purchases for one minute. These things are a TON OF FUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back