Registering Sea Doo Islandia with the coast guard?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeptemberC

I'm considering registering with the coast guard so I don't have to put numbers on it.
Has anyone gone through this process?

Very common about 20 years ago. Saw a decent amount of the registered boats get used by the CG back in the day. Back in the 90's there were minimum standards if you wanted to register it with the CG. Not sure if that is still the case.

It looks pretty simple except for a form about gross tonnage simple calculation for boats under 72 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally.... I wouldn't bother. You will get "Pulled Over" by the local rangers since they won't see the standard numbers. Then, you will have to stop what you are doing... so they can see your paperwork. It could turn into a pain in the butt.

AND... since it's not standard practice on a small pleasure craft... you may still get harassed by the state guys.

Why don't you want to add regular number? They fit fine under the "Islandia" on the front.

221.jpg

11.jpg

That's a great thought. Don't want to attract more attention than necessary.
I don't know about PA but here if DNR catches you with more than 6 empty "containers" you're in trouble. NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE you have on board! It's crazy!
My decals aren't exactly in the same place as yours but I might be able to get mine in that space.
I haven't gotten my numbers yet from DMV. I have 55 more days on my temp registration.

I am a USCG-AUX vessel examiner, we just performed 80 vessel exams on documented houseboats on Lake Cumberland, KY. Long story short, an Islandia would not qualify as a documented vessel, the minimum gross tonnage is 5 tons.

Lou

I am a USCG-AUX vessel examiner, we just performed 80 vessel exams on documented houseboats on Lake Cumberland, KY. Long story short, an Islandia would not qualify as a documented vessel, the minimum gross tonnage is 5 tons.

Lou

You never met my wife !! LOL !!

LOL!!!!!
Thank you LouDoo.
I got the forms and as I said they were very confusing. But then when Dr Honda reminded me that I may be drawing attention to myself that was enough for me.
You guys are great!

Back when I was active duty we got good at recognizing the local Documented boats. But visiting boats were pretty much always scrutinized.

[MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]. [MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION]. Knowing the size of a Sea Doo boat we can now figure out the minimum size of your wife. The CG uses Length times width divided by 15 to get an estimate of how many people can be on board,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back