Redneck TPS sensor replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhibbs

My TPS sensor just went out for the second time on my 2001 Challenger.
As a temporary fix I'm getting one of these from Ebay:

SLIDE POTENTIOMETER ALPS 20K LINEAR

I will cut off the wires to the TPS and run the three wires from the engine to the drivers seat somewhere and duct tape the pot there somewhere.
I'm sure it will get me through the summer.

Now I've see it all, a redneck in California, and I especially like the use of duct tape.

Lou

Redneck must be the theme. Another post has a laundry basket with a ratchet strap through it in the back if a quad for his empty beer cans. I think we may need a Redneck post with the rule that, you can only post if it is something you have actually done.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

The 2001 TPS is a 10K pot. AND... it trims the voltage for the temp system too. SO... make sure you have enough wattage to take it.

I'm not sure I would play it too much. If you use it as a trimmer to cut fuel at idle... and you pop the throttle open... it's going to be lean, and could melt a piston. So... make sure you give it full fuel before trying to run in the upper RPM range.

Maybe not such a good idea afterall

The 2001 TPS is a 10K pot. AND... it trims the voltage for the temp system too. SO... make sure you have enough wattage to take it.

I'm not sure I would play it too much. If you use it as a trimmer to cut fuel at idle... and you pop the throttle open... it's going to be lean, and could melt a piston. So... make sure you give it full fuel before trying to run in the upper RPM range.

I measured my bad TPS and I'm reading about 120K ohms maximum.
Rotating the shaft slowing causes the reading to bounce all over the place.
It goes from ~120k down to 0 ohms. I'm wondering if this high reading is part of the failure mode.
I now seem to remember the new one measured 10k.

The TPS might work as long as the reading stays linear and doesn't jump to max or minimum somewhere in between.

I guess I will go ahead and buy a new one and not risk melting a piston.

Thanks Dr. Honda

Redneck must be the theme. Another post has a laundry basket with a ratchet strap through it in the back if a quad for his empty beer cans. I think we may need a Redneck post with the rule that, you can only post if it is something you have actually done.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

For clarification, the difference between a redneck and a good ol' boy is, the good ol' boy throws his bear cans in the back of his pickup truck and the redneck throws them out the window straight into the ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back