Rectifier out put low?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jstamm

Hi everyone last post I couldn’t get my 96 gsx to start after carb work well I got that to start but it seems like it has a miss to it so I checked battery voltage at 5000 rpms I’m getting 12 volts anything under 5000 rpms is 11 to 12 volts new stator has been installed mainly because I had a bran new one laying around

Second issue is my starter makes a thump sound when trying to engage and then turns engine slow then it will start possible starter issue?

No she def isn’t seized it will start just slow engine turns fine when I take plugs out only struggles when starter is under load and I did compression before when I had starting issue they’re 155

Take a look through the attachments....

Attachments

• Jet Ski Battery INFO.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Stator output voltage info.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Sum Up WHY Jet Ski Wont START.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like a low battery or bad cable connections.

The thump s the starter not getting full power.

If it's not getting at least 13.5V at 5,000 rpm your regulator is bad or the stator is not producing power.

Sounds like a low battery or bad cable connections.

The thump s the starter not getting full power.

If it's not getting at least 13.5V at 5,000 rpm your regulator is bad or the stator is not producing power.
Could it also be the bendicks in the starter going bad I just put a bran new denso stator in I ordered a rectifier I feel like 12.5 v at 5000 rpms is just maintaining battery voltage

Could it also be the bendicks in the starter going bad I just put a bran new denso stator in I ordered a rectifier I feel like 12.5 v at 5000 rpms is just maintaining battery voltage
12.5 V at 5000 rpms would lead me to believe that your rectifier is NOT putting out any voltage (12.5 V would be standard battery voltage), although I would have also expected to see the voltage at the battery bouncing all over the place if the ski was running and the rectifier was bad, SO are you sure you have continuity from the rectifier output wire (typically RED) all the way back through the ski to the battery (actually the postive side of the starter solenoid through a 15amp fuse - in my ski anyway)? (i've fought that wiring battle before) - assume nothing is good until your meter shows continuity through each segment of the wiring harness from plug to plug / point to point), electric gremlins are always lurking in these skis....water and electric (great combo!)

A running ski with a good rectifier at 5000 rpm's should be putting out anywhere from 13.5 to 14.6 therabouts back to the battery (battery side of solenoid post) to keep it maintained for the next "start" cycle.

No I no my starter wouldn’t cause that my starter makes a thumping sound then turns engine slow like bendix is bad my ski sounds like it misfires my coil pack is new and test good my stator is new and test good so I checked my voltage at battery at idle was 11v at 5000 rpms was 12.5

Thats low.

Battery should be at 12.5V just sitting there.
Cranking shouldn't drop below 11V
Running at 5K should be 13.5-14.5V.

12v low is the MPEM seeing low voltage and sending a signal to the gauge. Is the message given even before the ski is started? You’ve checked all your fuses?

Hmm strange well I put new starter in as well might have put my ground strap on to much paint on the starter

Hi again So still tracing my issue on why my ski sounds like it’s misfiring and why it says 12v low can someone tell me what this is? I opened case and water just poured out

Attachments

• FDCF66E1-CF59-436E-A372-1D58D3E3E817.jpeg
    FDCF66E1-CF59-436E-A372-1D58D3E3E817.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
Yup that's your vts. If it was filled with water I would take a look at the boot on the outside of the ski where it exits and attaches to nozzle. It's probably leaking.

The boot outside the ski for the actuator rod is probably torn letting water into the trim housing.

The misfire didn’t seem as bad when I drained water out of it might be just in my head though I’m narrowed it down to just the annoying 12v low message on ski new battery new stator new rectifier new starter not that starter matters for battery I back probed my stator connector and I’m at .001 on all three yellows lol I hate electrical

Btw my battery is at 11.6 volts when ski is in accessory mode/ not running when I’m getting the 12v low code start it up battery jumps to only 12.6v at any speed doesn’t fluctuate much from there

And found out person I bought it off of was using a jump box but ski starts so don’t think it’s computer

Btw my battery is at 11.6 volts when ski is in accessory mode/ not running when I’m getting the 12v low code start it up battery jumps to only 12.6v at any speed doesn’t fluctuate much from there
If the battery is only at 11.6v resting and then jumps to 12.6 when it’s running sounds like a weak/ bad battery. I would pull the battery out of the ski and charge it. Let it sit for a few hrs after charging and see what the voltage is then. If you don’t get at least 12.5 I’d throw a new battery in it and go from there.

Battery is a bran new one I wonder if maybe I shouldn’t have put a cheap after market rectifier in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back