Recommendations Solas 13/18 or 14/19?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gato760

Hello,

I am replacing my impeller again since I decided I would crush a bunch of rocks with a nearly brand new impeller and wear ring (see photo). This is thanks to the ICS and grate being down and locking open and it raked the ground and pulled everything up in over 2 feet of water. I can usually go shallower with this boat without concern, but the open grate got me before I could power everything off.

So I had a Solas 14/19 and it seemed to work just fine, but I am curious if the 13/18 would help me accelerate faster. I do not need more top end. Any advice?

Edit: I should have put this info in the original post. This is for a 2006 C180 Wake tower edition with a 215 hp 4tec. Usually use the boat at the Colorado River (sea level). Typically very warm water during boating season. In the upper 70's to mid 80's.

Regards

Attachments

• 20190615_091108.jpg
    20190615_091108.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hello,

I am replacing my impeller again since I decided I would crush a bunch of rocks with a nearly brand new impeller and wear ring (see photo). This is thanks to the ICS and grate being down and locking open and it raked the group and pulled everything up in over 2 feet of water. I can usually go shallower with this boat without concern, but the open grate got me before I could power everything off.

So I had a Solas 14/19 and it seemed to work just fine, but I am curios if the 13/18 would help me accelerate faster. I do not need more top end. Any advice?

Regards
What boat and motor?

Hi pvamax,

My apologies for not stating some pretty relevant info - 2006 C180 Wake tower edition with a 215 hp 4tec.

Regards

I have both and the only difference I notice is the 13/18 will cavitate more often out of the hole than the 14/19. Does it accelerate better? Perhaps, but my seat of the pants acceleration meter doesn't detect it haha. Even top end speed and rpm are the same. I almost want to buy the pitch gauges to see what the actual difference is. Maybe the 14/19R would be a greater difference to the 13/18. I dislike the cavitaion, therefore I'm currently running the 14/19.

Also, I removed the ICS as I had the same issue as you. It was never in the neutral position. It was either up into the tunnel providing no protection, or down as you described.

I have both and the only difference I notice is the 13/18 will cavitate more often out of the hole than the 14/19. Does it accelerate better? Perhaps, but my seat of the pants acceleration meter doesn't detect it haha. Even top end speed and rpm are the same. I almost want to buy the pitch gauges to see what the actual difference is. Maybe the 14/19R would be a greater difference to the 13/18. I dislike the cavitation, therefore I'm currently running the 14/19.

What's up C9R0J0! It has been a while since we last talked and I hope all is well with you my man. I had a Solas 14/19 when I bought the boat and it was really beat up along with the wear ring and the carbon ring. I replaced the Solas with another 14/19 impeller, SBT wear ring, and stock carbon ring (the carbon ring was a bit tough, but I persevered).

I did not experience any cavitation once all three items were replaced. I just heard rumors and read posts that the 13/18 Solas impeller is better for our boat. I guess it depends on elevation and water temp and maybe some other factors I am not considering. Ultimately I just want a better jump and acceleration and I thought the 13/18 might do that. It does not sound like that is your experience, so I am not going to take that chance.

I am going to stick with what works and buy a new SBT wear ring and Solas 14/19 impeller. I'm also going to completely remove the ICS grate since it is useless.

Did you put in another grate on your C180?

Regards

What's up C9R0J0! It has been a while since we last talked and I hope all is well with you my man. I had a Solas 14/19 when I bought the boat and it was really beat up along with the wear ring and the carbon ring. I replaced the Solas with another 14/19 impeller, SBT wear ring, and stock carbon ring (the carbon ring was a bit tough, but I persevered).

I did not experience any cavitation once all three items were replaced. I just heard rumors and read posts that the 13/18 Solas impeller is better for our boat. I guess it depends on elevation and water temp and maybe some other factors I am not considering. Ultimately I just want a better jump and acceleration and I thought the 13/18 might do that. It does not sound like that is your experience, so I am not going to take that chance.

I am going to stick with what works and buy a new SBT wear ring and Solas 14/19 impeller. I'm also going to completely remove the ICS grate since it is useless.

Did you put in another grate on your C180?

Regards

Thanks, all is well!

I've always wanted to run them back to back on the same day to get more accurate results. Perhaps I'll do this and take videos. It's hard to measure acceleration, but I'm sure there's an app that will do that.

When I first removed the ICS I just ran it with no grate at all for most of the summer. I had no problems with this as the lake/river I run the boat in is either sand or mud. I'm often in and out of the weeds too going up the river to the lake and I found without a grate I had next to no problems with weeds. Now with the fixed grate I almost always have weeds hanging off the grate when I pull the boat. My intent was to make a device to operate the grate manually. There's a thread on here showing how you can easily make a mechanism to do this. Then my pump support insert broke off. I ordered a new one, and within a couple weeks that one broke off too. Now they are discontinued so I can't find one anywhere. The fixed grate off the 07 180 has the same rear attachment as the part we need for the ICS boats. So you could either grind the grate off and you'd be left with the part you need or leave it on and devise a way to attach it in the front. This is unfortunate as the fixed grate is twice the price of the pump support insert alone. I ground down the front and put 2 bolts thru the ICS grate mount and it sits on top of those bolts. It's crude and maybe even kills some performance, but it definitely won't come off.

Thanks, all is well!

I've always wanted to run them back to back on the same day to get more accurate results. Perhaps I'll do this and take videos. It's hard to measure acceleration, but I'm sure there's an app that will do that.

When I first removed the ICS I just ran it with no grate at all for most of the summer. I had no problems with this as the lake/river I run the boat in is either sand or mud. I'm often in and out of the weeds too going up the river to the lake and I found without a grate I had next to no problems with weeds. Now with the fixed grate I almost always have weeds hanging off the grate when I pull the boat. My intent was to make a device to operate the grate manually. There's a thread on here showing how you can easily make a mechanism to do this. Then my pump support insert broke off. I ordered a new one, and within a couple weeks that one broke off too. Now they are discontinued so I can't find one anywhere. The fixed grate off the 07 180 has the same rear attachment as the part we need for the ICS boats. So you could either grind the grate off and you'd be left with the part you need or leave it on and devise a way to attach it in the front. This is unfortunate as the fixed grate is twice the price of the pump support insert alone. I ground down the front and put 2 bolts thru the ICS grate mount and it sits on top of those bolts. It's crude and maybe even kills some performance, but it definitely won't come off.

I just placed an order for the Solas 14/19 today. I am going to stick with what I know works in my boat. I am going to see what I can do about that grate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back