Recommendations for inspecting 2005 Sportster LE DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Watchmaker

Hello, I'm still in the market for a good deal on a Sportster or Challenger. Since it is winter here in Orillia, Ontario Canada I may find some off season deals. Unfortunately, since it is winter, I can't water test a boat. Any suggestions on what things to look for / ask about when buying a 2005 Sportster LE DI that just came up for sale? All and any help is appreciated - I am a newbie to Jet Boating.

The DI is either a love it or hate it engine. It’s a lean burn 2 stroke which isn’t the best combination.

They aren’t known for going more than 200 hours.

Check compression, minimum of 130 psi and they have to have been using only 100% synthetic API-TC oil.

200 hours on an engine?!?!
Good God, I can do that time in a season or two.

That is correct, the 951 isn't known for going too much more than that. Most of the 2-strokes are due for a top end at minimum at 200 hours. That's one of the reasons for the success of 4-strokes.

Stay away from the Di. They are a pain to diagnose if they start having problems.

Chester

So asking Mikidymac, if my 951 carb has some large unknown hours of use on it, and compression is is still 132-135 compression (based on guage), and engine runs like a champ....when and what should be done to the engine, as a rebuild, to prevent massive engine failure?

The dealer can get the engine hours from the computer.

At a minimum I would run good API-TC full synthetic oil, change the small 3/32" oil injection lines, rebuild the carbs and fuel system using genuine Mikuni and OEM parts and change the engine counterbalancer oil. The bad thing with a 951 is when a crank or balancer goes it always destroy's the cases too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back