Radio Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsw222

I recently installed a Sony CD deck in my 97 Challenger 1800. The deck was purchased 2 years ago but kept brand new in the box until recently, due to lack of time and problems with my engines that have finally been resolved.

The install went great and the radio and speakers sounded amazing. However when I had it out for a test run, I did not have the rear mounting bracket attached (stupid). I hit a wave and the radio fell into the storage compartment. I pulled it out, put it back, and it still worked fine.

However, after that incident... every so often, the radio would turn off for a few seconds then turn back on. This would usually happen when turning the volume knob. Finally the radio quit working completely and does not even appear to be getting power.

I figured that something was internally wrong with the head unit due to the drop, so I bought another Sony deck (newer model because the old one is no longer being made). This was a direct replacement, so I pulled out the old one, put in the new one, and plugged it in. Nothing. It does not even appear to be getting power.

What could cause this? Possibly a fuse somewhere? I don't know much about the boat's wiring or where I should check. It appears that all connections on the wiring harness are connected fine.

I don't know if its related or not, but I noticed a black plastic connector with wires hanging down inside the OTHER storage compartment (on driver's side) which is not connected to anything.... could this be related? Or maybe its for an optional depth gauge that could fit in the blank slot on the dash? I never noticed it before so maybe it worked its way loose.... although I cannot find a place to reconnect it.

Any tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

I think the other connector is power for an aux gauge.

As far as the power issue... there is a radio fuse in the fuse block. I'd start there. Do you have the factory manual for it for the wiring diagram?

If you need a hand... give me a yell.

Oh... I may be on the river this weekend. Someone I know want's to go though a lock. We will drop in at Boston, and head to the point. (possibly on Sat)

Bingo... the Doc is right again!

There is a 3 amp fuse which is blown on the fuse block... sure enough, when I swap it with another 3A fuse from the block, the radio works.

The radio still turns off occasionally... I'm guessing that the aftermarket deck draws more power than the factory radio, so the 3A isn't sufficient. There is a 10A fuse built into the back of the head unit.... so I should probably swap the 3A on the SeaDoo block with a 10A, and then I bet it will be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

I might be out for a little bit on Saturday... I finally went through with the purchase of a 2012 RXT-X 260, so I still need to get some break-in hours on her!

Yes... if the new deck needs more power... put in a bigger fuse. Try a 5a first... and go from there. The intermittent power could be a loose plug somewhere else. During the install.... did you solder the wires... or did you use crimp connectors??

I saw last night, that your signature said "Pending" on a new ski. Congrats !! Did you get it from Mosities, or was it a Bombardier employee thing? If I don't hear back from Jim today... let me know, and we can hook up somewhere to go for an easy ride. (Up toward your uncles house maybe) But if you want to do the Boston to the point ride... we will keep the speeds in check for a proper break-in.

Yes... if the new deck needs more power... put in a bigger fuse. Try a 5a first... and go from there. The intermittent power could be a loose plug somewhere else. During the install.... did you solder the wires... or did you use crimp connectors??

I saw last night, that your signature said "Pending" on a new ski. Congrats !! Did you get it from Mosities, or was it a Bombardier employee thing? If I don't hear back from Jim today... let me know, and we can hook up somewhere to go for an easy ride. (Up toward your uncles house maybe) But if you want to do the Boston to the point ride... we will keep the speeds in check for a proper break-in.

I used crimp connectors so I think they are pretty sturdy. I will swap out the fuse with something bigger and see if that stops the problem... I feel like it has to be power related so maybe this will fix it. And it happened with both of the head units I have, so its definitely not internal to the unit from the drop into the storage compartment.

Thanks! I actually picked it up from Ridersville in WV because DJ recommended them (he got his '11 T-X there last season). The guy gave it to me at dealer invoice (1600 or so below sticker) and was very helpful. Unfortunately BRP split off from Bombardier into its own company around 2005... so we don't get the 15% employee discount anymore. Oh well!

Now that you said that... I think we talked about it before. (the BRP split) Either way... sounds like you got a good deal. The only time Mosities gives a "Real" bargain, is when it's cold.

I heard back from the guy I was supposed to go ride with on Sat, and he can't make it. Let me know if you want to hook up. I've only had my skis out a few times this summer because of the Islandia project... so I'm probably going to go riding regardless. But, it's more fun (and safer) with someone else. You can shoot me a TXT.

Ugh. I'm an idiot. I had both the left front and left rear speaker wires from the head unit wired to a single speaker. Same with right front and right rear. So when I turned up the volume, I'm guessing the outputs were not exactly equal, and something shorted.

Why is the radio connected to TWO 3A fuses on the block in the SeaDoo fuse box? I lost power again, and it took me forever to figure out that there are actually two fuses for the radio in-line on the fuse box. So when I put a 10A in the original one that blew... the other 3A blew out the next time the speaker wires shorted. I didn't think there would be a redundancy like that. Weird.

I cut the front left and right speaker wires.... so there are no more shorts and I'm good to go!

Ugh. I'm an idiot. I had both the left front and left rear speaker wires from the head unit wired to a single speaker. Same with right front and right rear. So when I turned up the volume, I'm guessing the outputs were not exactly equal, and something shorted.

Why is the radio connected to TWO 3A fuses on the block in the SeaDoo fuse box? I lost power again, and it took me forever to figure out that there are actually two fuses for the radio in-line on the fuse box. So when I put a 10A in the original one that blew... the other 3A blew out the next time the speaker wires shorted. I didn't think there would be a redundancy like that. Weird.

I cut the front left and right speaker wires.... so there are no more shorts and I'm good to go!

is one 3A fuse for memory, and one 3A fuse for the power supply?

is one 3A fuse for memory, and one 3A fuse for the power supply?

You would think that.... but I know in the islandia... there isn't anything on the back-side of the battery switch. So... when I turn off the battery, the radio looses it's memory. If that's how the 1800 is wired... a separate memory fuse would be silly.

I guess I'll have to pull up the schematic.

You would think that.... but I know in the islandia... there isn't anything on the back-side of the battery switch. So... when I turn off the battery, the radio looses it's memory. If that's how the 1800 is wired... a separate memory fuse would be silly.

I guess I'll have to pull up the schematic.
I agree, It is weird without a doubt. The radio in this boat has been replaced with a clarion head unit. etc etc...
so when I do disconnect the battery and reconnect the radio automatically turns on, surprised me a few times to say the least...lol..., but the memory/channels have been saved... go figure...
I`m in the process now of installing a Perko Battery switch... I will do something with the radio afterwards...

I just looked at the schematic, and it doesn't show the battery switch in that boat. Also... it only shows one 3a fuse for the radio. The other 3a fuses in the box are for the bilge pump... and starter relay. Finally, in the schematic, the power, and memory wires are tied together. Now... as far as the "In-line" fuses... that's part of the radio. (from the manufacture)

BUT......... in 1998... the challenger has a 10a fuse for the radio.

I just looked at the schematic, and it doesn't show the battery switch in that boat. Also... it only shows one 3a fuse for the radio. The other 3a fuses in the box are for the bilge pump... and starter relay. Finally, in the schematic, the power, and memory wires are tied together. Now... as far as the "In-line" fuses... that's part of the radio. (from the manufacture)

BUT......... in 1998... the challenger has a 10a fuse for the radio.
:thumbsup: I saw the same thing in the wire schematic.
But I have no idea why the radio comes on after reconnecting the power... maybe just a characteristic of this clarion, which I really don`t care for anyway... it has a crap load of wires and interface boxes for an Ipod, but no provision for MP3, I`m pretty sure this one is 4 years old...
Thanks Doc...:cheers:

I am having a similar problem. I am replacing my seaworthy with a boss radio. From the boat I have a black wire (ground) and two orange wires. I was going to splice them into the new wires but I cannot get power to the new radio. I checked the new radio with a 12v battery and it works. Could I have blown a fuse in the fuse box. If so where is that located on a 2001 Utopia 185.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back