Question on DESS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

94samson

When was the DESS key put into Sea-Doo models?

Is it normal for a 1996 Sea-Doo SPX to have a standard post kill switch?

Is it normal for a seadoo with a standard post kill switch to have a MPEM with the wire for the DESS application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Someone has changed the mpem to an earlier model. Not necessarily a bad thing.

1996 was the intro to DESS and crossover year. I own a 96' GSX with it, but I believe many models that year had the provisions, but only the XP, GSX, and GTX had DESS as a standard feature. Maybe someone with a 96' SPX can chime in, maybe it had the provisions at the MPEM and you could add it at the dealer. I don't think the 96' SPX had it as a standard feature.

Reactions: mjl
I am just trying to figure out if having an mpem with DESS wire and not DESS post/key could cause a starting issue.

I am loosing my mind trying to figure out the starting issue.

Wouldnt turn over so jumped solenoid, it turned over fine, replaced solenoid, same problem, tried 2 other solenoids, same problem, replaced starter, same problem. Checked and cleaned battery cables, cleaned grounds in control box. Added extra grounds to rule that out.

There are only 3 ways I can make it turn over like it is supposed to:
1. Jump solenoid
2. Put 12v to yellow wire going to solenoid
3. Touch lead going into coil with test light that is hooked to ground

You probably already checked it, but did you disconnect and check the start button for continuity with a MM? If you rule out the solenoid, the starter, the start button, the fuse in MPEM, then that should leave the MPEM itself and something inside it fried. Are you getting the two beeps?

The fuses on mpem are good, I am figuring my problem is the mpem, just wanted to make sure the correct one is in boat to make sure get correct replacement

Well bought a parts 95 xp, it had a DESS post, took mpem out and found the same white/hrey wire with a plug in it. Put the mpem in the SPX been working on and everything seems good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back