Question for the community.......

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

I have a 2006 Seadoo Sportster 155 HP, single engine, non turbo. Other than knowing I need a new impeller and wear ring, the boat runs fine, and is a blast to drive. Top speed with gps is only 38mph, which is why I know I need them parts, I hope. The only other thing I have experienced is after running the boat for say.... and hour or more, tubing, crusing, whatnot, I turn it off and it will not crank again for at least 15 to 20 minutes. So we take a swim, and then get back in, and it has cranked everytime if waiting for that period of time. If you try before then, it will struggle, almost sounds flooded or a weak battery. I pulled the battery and had it tested, completely good. It seems this "cool down" period allows it to start evenually. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this problem and will see this. Thanks to all for your help in advance.

Change spark plugs if not already.
Possible exhaust leak in engine compartment. Run exhaust fan for a couple minutes before trying to restart.

I'm not sure if it mattered, but it did start up after I removed the cover from the engine compartment, though it had already sat for about 15 minutes or so. This happened out on the water too. Ran about an hour or so and wouldn't start back up, so take a swim, and then it did. But drive around for about an hour more, and park at the doc for loading, turn off, and then it does start back up, weird. Almost like if you can make past that first "not start" moment, you're good for the rest of the day. I didn't realize that an exhaust leak could prevent starting?!? Plugs were changed, according to guy I bought it from 2 months ago. Thanks for your reply.

You need to run the blower to get fresh air into the engine. Your nice new cover is doings its job, which also traps fumes in the bilge.

Plus you need to do this for your safety.

Could it be a heat soaked starter? If you have an IRT, check the temp on the starter when she won't go and then when she finally will.

Thank you all for your answers and replies. The cover I was talking about is the one that covers the engine compartment, but would also prevent fumes from escaping if I did not run the blower, didn't know it mattered that much. Noticed that my blower was not working when I looked to run it. What exactly is a "heat soaked" starter? Just meaning that it's surrounded by too much hear, making it not able to work correctly? What is an IRT and what is a good way to check the temp of the starter? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks to all, I'm new to boating all together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the blower fixed,,, You need it for both your safety as well as for the engine to start after sitting.. While moving forward, there are vents that push so into the hull and thus,,, push the stale air out of the hull.. Once stopped, you need the blower to do this.

What exactly is a "heat soaked" starter? What is an IRT and what is a good way to check the temp of the starter? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks to all, I'm new to boating all together.

A heat soaked starter is when the starter gets so hot that it starts to act like a dead battery when trying to start the motor. It will turn much slower than when cool. Sometimes excessive heat either through contact with the motor or just in the engine bay, will cause the starter to act "weak" when warm, but fine when cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBmn6Q7zFY

An IRT is an Infrared Thermometer. These can be purchased for less than $20 at your local hardware store or Harbor Freight. Always a good tool to have.

I had almost the same problem. Extremely slow start when hot. It was my starters. My understanding is that the other cause is a bad exhaust manifold. Water enters the exhaust and when you turn it off it turns to steam. This causes hydro-lock, and the engine will be slow to start, or not start. You can determine this by removing the j-pipe and looking into the exhaust manifold. It should be rust free.

I was struggling with a bad starting engine for more than one year and later it turned out that it was a leaky injection nozzle. It was floating the intake manifold with fuel and the two other cylinders didn’t get the engine running. Take the whole bank with the injection nozzles out of your intake manifold and pressurize them. Check if one of the injection nozzles is leaky and then change it. I have a post of my problem here in the forum where you can find the whole story.

Thank you all for your answers and replies. The cover I was talking about is the one that covers the engine compartment, but would also prevent fumes from escaping if I did not run the blower, didn't know it mattered that much. Noticed that my blower was not working when I looked to run it. What exactly is a "heat soaked" starter? Just meaning that it's surrounded by too much hear, making it not able to work correctly? What is an IRT and what is a good way to check the temp of the starter? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks to all, I'm new to boating all together.

My blower wasn't working either, changed the fuse and all good. Fuses should be in the compartment in front of steering wheel.

Gosh, thanks again for everyone replying. I think I'm going to start first with changing out the blower this weekend. I saw some at Walmart and comparted the one on the boat, and they look the same. The fuse wasn't blown, so I guess it's the part itself. If this does not work, then I will go with checking for the other suggestions. I wonder if the blower not working can simulate a heat soaked starter? And if just was a heat soaked starter, the answer would be just a new one right? Each time my girl and I say the same thing, sounds like a weak battery, but I tested the battery, and thats not it of course. I guess the exaust and fume problem can make it sound like a bad starter or battery too....

Gosh, thanks again for everyone replying. I think I'm going to start first with changing out the blower this weekend. I saw some at Walmart and comparted the one on the boat, and they look the same. The fuse wasn't blown, so I guess it's the part itself. If this does not work, then I will go with checking for the other suggestions. I wonder if the blower not working can simulate a heat soaked starter? And if just was a heat soaked starter, the answer would be just a new one right? Each time my girl and I say the same thing, sounds like a weak battery, but I tested the battery, and thats not it of course. I guess the exaust and fume problem can make it sound like a bad starter or battery too....

Have you checked to see if you are actually getting power to the blower? At least check that before you waste money on a part you don't need. A volt meter is pretty cheap and a must have for any driveway mechanic. Check to ensure you have power to the blower. If you do, then the blower is more than likely bad. If you do not have power to the blower, you need to check the switch and so on. Working your way backwards.

How did you test the battery? Just because you have 12v+ at the posts doesn't mean the battery is good. You either need to measure the voltage when a load is placed on the battery (starting the boat) or remove the battery and take it to the auto parts store and have them check to see if the battery is really good or not. I've seen many a battery have good voltage at rest, but not when a load is placed on them.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the plot thickens..... Before going out today, I checked the blower to assure it wasn't working. It didn't work. So I unpluged it, cleaned the connections, put some grease in there, still nothing. I didn't check if power was going there, but will do. Pretty sure it's bad I guess. But now, the boat will not start from a cold start. Checked it before taking to the water, and will not turn over. It tries, but not all the way. I did have the battery checked at a Seadoo dealership, and checked out fine. Probably isnt the solenoid cause that would just be clicking if it did not work. Gonna try and check the connections from the battery, though it sure is hard to get down there. How the heck to you guys get down there? Haha... If all other things check out, maybe I just have a bad starter......:facepalm:

I take the rear engine hatch right off the boat. Takes 5 minutes. Mark around the hinges with a sharp pencil first for easy alignment. Your better off having someone hold the hatch while you undo the bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back