Purchasing Advice, used, long storage seadoos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rancher2021

I am new to the whole world of Seadoos. I have the opportunity to buy two 2002 gtx's for 4500. Is this a good price or too much. They are in great cosmetic condition. The only issue is that they have been in storage for several years. Probably three. The owner says that they don't start. Could this be related to battery charge or might there be something deeper that may be causing the isssues. Any help would be much appreciated. What other issues might there be.

In 2002 the GTX was offered with 3 engines, the DI which is the 951 engine with fuel injection is known to be expensive and troublesome if they have problems with the fuel system. A lot of people avoid them.

The 787 RFI, also fuel injected has a smaller engine which seems to have a longer life span than most 951 motors.

The third was a 951 carb model. These are the easiest for the occasional mechanic to maintain. They also leave you the most available options to apply if you are into mod'ing them for performance.

All of the engines had to be taken care of. If they have been sitting for some time, the owner would have needed to keep the internal engine well cover with oil/lube.

You should expect to have some expenses getting them in shape to ride. Siphoning out old/bad gas. Changing oil lines, gas lines. You may have to rebuild carbs...etc. Could be a couple hundred dollars per machine real quick. Could be a lot more too.

If you don't know what oil was used previously and cannot identify it, you will need to drain it and replace. Different brands of oil have been known to not mix well and clog the system which usually leads to a blown engine and maybe $1k later you are back on the water.

If they had a battery sitting in them that long, they are definitely dead. They may be able to be recovered but doubtful if they were sitting out side freezing year after year. My guess is that you can add two brand new batteries to the bill.

The DI and the Carb model should be 62-65 mph.
The 787 RFI would get you to around 55 mph.
These are GPS numbers. The onboard speedometers don't always tell the truth ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back