Purchasing a ski in the US

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Austrian Rotax

Hello fello Canadians, just wondering if anyone has bought a ski in the US and towed it back to Canada. What would be the average duties and fees I would have to pay on a machine? if anyone has any experience I would like to hear it

Thanks

You might want to PM [MENTION=59978]kicker[/MENTION] he's been snatching them for a while now.

I've done it quite a few times. Very easy. If no trailer even easier.

Make sure you get a bill of sale and the title/registration from the Seller. Make sure VIN is on hand written receipt. Make sure you take down a copy of the ad eg craigslist so you can prove price paid. Declare it at border and pay the sales tax. Done.

If you are getting a trailer you MUST have registration and be able to SEE the VIN decal on the the trailer as well as a decal that shows tire sizes weight rating etc. IF the trailer is LESS than 15 years old you will pay another tax after you get home. Google "RIV fee" and you'll see the process. It's about $200! If older than 15 years no RIV tax.

You'll pay sales tax on this at the border as well when you declare it.

Also have a contact number of the seller on the receipt.. They could call them to confirm price.

Btw I cannot emphasize enough that the vin decal and tire/wgt decal be legible. If no decals
unless you are 100% positive company is still in business and you can get a replacement decal(s) LEAVE the trailer. You will be unable to import it.

not that hard ,you pay hst which you pay anyway here. don't buy a trailer over there it becomes a pain in the ass

Hello fello Canadians, just wondering if anyone has bought a ski in the US and towed it back to Canada. What would be the average duties and fees I would have to pay on a machine? if anyone has any experience I would like to hear it

Thanks

not that hard ,you pay hst which you pay anyway here. don't buy a trailer over there it becomes a pain in the ass

When I crossed Sarnia a couple of weeks ago, I asked the officer about trailer VIN number. He said they don't check the VIN numbers, they only need the bill of sales and owership / title / registration.

If this is a 15+ trailer, and VIN stick is gone or washed out, you can just register it as a home made as one of the options.

If you're going to register as a u-bilt you'd better make sure all manuf decals and the VIN decals are totally removed.

In BC now they've clamped down on u-bilts. You have to provide receipts for all the parts to the trailer as well.

If you're going to register as a u-bilt you'd better make sure all manuf decals and the VIN decals are totally removed.

In BC now they've clamped down on u-bilts. You have to provide receipts for all the parts to the trailer as well.

ON still has a few good years before that regulation moves in :)
The only thing they asked for the home made is the number of the axles, weight of the trailer. And you get a plate in 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Yes, unless you're buying a trailer with the seadoo, or planning on putting the seadoo in the back of a vehicle.

Remember to take some form of proof of the initial deal - like a copy of the craigslist ad. Helps prove the basics of the deal.

IF you buy a trailer down there, read the posts above. It's FAR harder to bring a trailer back than a seadoo.

If you purchase out of the states, do you take your own trailer with you?

I brought a uhaul trailer with me last time. cost me $29 for the rental.
It takes away the worry of the old little ski trailer broke on the route too :)

Do you have a ski trailer already?

I do have a trailer. I am looking at the price differences for a relatively new RXP when I came across this post. Now has me looking south of the boarder

Yes. That is the way to go. Don't get killed in Canada. No brainer to go south. Lower price, and more importantly, a lot more options.

What sites do you use to find good seadoos? I have just started to look at craigslist.. Also, any other fees that you would pay when you get north of the boarder? Anything different for registration? I work in the auto industry and am not sure how different boats or PWC's are from importing cars.

Crossing border there is a 13% of what you claim the value of the ski, which is on your proof of sales.
Registration is easy, you will get a new license number, which is free.
That's it.

When you get it back into Canada you will have to fill out a pleasurecraft license application which gets sent to transport Canada. Be sure to keep your receipt that shows the HST that was paid on the new watercraft. I have had them request HST payment two years later and had to send in the receipt showing that I already paid the HST.

Ahh the exchange rate, I remember the good ole days when it was 55%. It was great being 19 and heading over to Windsor with $100 that turned into $155 for the bar. Just a couple years ago we were even money.

Dont get discourage with the exchange, its a bit tougher but there are still US deals to be had. I leave tomorrow to get a new bike out of PA, brand new 2012 full warranty 0 miles etc. Even with the exchange the bike is still $2-3000 cheaper then buying the same USED bike in Canada with no warranty.

On used seadoos it will be a bit tougher to justify cause the dollars being used are smaller, 30% savings on a $3000 seadoo after exchange is calculated its not worth the hassle.

http://www.trackntrail.net/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=3341361&nv=y

Dont get discourage with the exchange, its a bit tougher but there are still US deals to be had. I leave tomorrow to get a new bike out of PA, brand new 2012 full warranty 0 miles etc. Even with the exchange the bike is still $2-3000 cheaper then buying the same USED bike in Canada with no warranty.

Congrats on your 1000th post!

im not 100 percent on this but from what i have seen most US seadoo's are a couple mph slower than the ones sold in Canada
might be of importance to some people

im not 100 percent on this but from what i have seen most US seadoo's are a couple mph slower than the ones sold in Canada
might be of importance to some people

I mean, I like to eat and all but I wouldn't say I'm overweight at least not enough to drop a few MPH.

349.jpg

Well once you convert it to kilometers per hour and factor in the exchange rate there is no doubt.

Back