Problem cranking a 97 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yama0918

I am having a problem cranking my 97 XP. If the spark plugs are removed, the engine will crank fast. I can also turn the engine by hand. I can put my thumb over either spark plug hole and the cranking speed drops. With the plugs in, it will crank a moment until the pressure builds up and then stops. The compression in both cylinders is at 150 pounds

The battery is fully charged. I even removed the battery leads and connected them to my large fully charged marine battery that was sitting on the floor with heavy jumper cables. I get the same results even if I connect the battery directly to the starter terminals.

At this point I was sure I had a bad starter so I bought a used one online. I was shocked to have the same results. Is it possible that I have two bad starters?

i'd check the leads from battery to relay, then relay to starter, also the grounds. Had same problem, purchased new relay, only to find the ring terminal(+) at starter was broke inside the cover..:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back