Pressure test readings on rotax engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnz26

Just picked up a 1995 SeaDoo Sportster 150 and it looks like it was sitting around a bit. A compression test with the engine cold gave these numbers: Port side Rotax: 125/135 and on the Starboard side engine: 140/180.
I haven't tried the boat on the water yet and wanted to make sure the engine is in good condition.
What are ideal compression numbers for the rotax engine?
In addition, is it normal to have grease shooting in this area?

Attachments

• seadoo grease.jpg
    seadoo grease.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
The difference between the cylinders you have is not good. Also it should never be 180 as perfect is 150 and time for rebuild is 120. It should only be a few pounds between cylinders if any.

I would run the engines on the hose then cool and retest. When you test ground the plug wires and hold the throttle wide open when cranking.

For grease, you are missing the grease zerk in that blank hole on the aluminum ring. You are also about to loose then entire carrier as the rubber hose and hose clamp on the left of your picture are coming off the fiberglass fitting. Loosen the left hose clamp and slide the rubber hose to the rear of the craft then tighten the hose clamp back up. Clean all the grease off and install a new zerk.

I didn't ground the plug wires when testing. Maybe that affected the readings?
As for the grease zerk, I am going to see where to find them. I actually never heard the part name.

Not grounding the plug wires can fry the coil or computer but won't change the compression numbers.

Grease Zerk
PHL-A3016-20170330.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back