Practical tool kit for on water repairs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtexan99

What are you guys keeping on your boat for temporary repairs on the water? I don't want to bring my whole tool kit (too big).

I'd like to assemble a core kit...here's my take on what to carry.

Standard Screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
Hose Clamps
Couple of pieces of spare hose
2 Hose Clamps
Crescent Wrench (adjustable)
Needle Nose Pliers
Pliers
Channel lock pliers
Spare fuses

What else? Is a socket wrench and a few sockets advisable? If so, what sizes

A set of spare plugs might not be a bad idea.

well, looks like Griz beat me to that. Griz I was sure you were going to say to include a SDB'esque prison shank screwdriver for protection. :)

I would buy an extra exhaust clamp, The bigger stainless steel one that holds the 2 pipes togethor. I had one break a couple years ago and there is only one way to fix, a new clamp. I was 4 miles from land and water rushing in my hull. not fun at all. A few bolts wiggled them self loose and put too much stress on the clamp. I now keep a spare clamp and tighten bolts down on a regular schedule

A couple things on your list....

1) There is no reason to bring an open-end adjustable wrench. It seems like a good tool, but what are you going to use it on?? Every bolt on your boat is either recessed, or is a spot where a big wrench wont fit.

2) Extra hose isn't a bad idea, but since the cooling, and fuel system aren't under pressure... chances are you will never have a hose split. On that note... a roll of good quality electrical (Vinyl) tape will seal a hose temporarily. Just wipe the hose clean and wrap the heck out of it. I drove +150 miles on a tape patch with my Toyota one time.

When I go out... I keep the basics in my boat, and each of my skis. A tow rope, spark plugs, screwdrivers, 13/16" wrench, pliers, tape, zip-ties, wrag, and rubber gloves. (Nitrel glove so you don't get greasy) In the boat, I also kept $20 tucked in the tool bag.

Now... along with that, I keep a rubber-made tote marked as "Boat" that I throw in my truck. It has a full set of tools, and some extra parts... along with a gallon of oil, and other boating stuff.

i'd say keep one of those $9.99 metric sets from harbor freight, and a cheap 1/4 inch drive
extra oil, even if its just a sealed container for 10gallons or so
gps ?
spark plug wrench and 2 sparkies.

A couple things on your list....

1) There is no reason to bring an open-end adjustable wrench. It seems like a good tool, but what are you going to use it on?? Every bolt on your boat is either recessed, or is a spot where a big wrench wont fit.

2) Extra hose isn't a bad idea, but since the cooling, and fuel system aren't under pressure... chances are you will never have a hose split. On that note... a roll of good quality electrical (Vinyl) tape will seal a hose temporarily. Just wipe the hose clean and wrap the heck out of it. I drove +150 miles on a tape patch with my Toyota one time.

When I go out... I keep the basics in my boat, and each of my skis. A tow rope, spark plugs, screwdrivers, 13/16" wrench, pliers, tape, zip-ties, wrag, and rubber gloves. (Nitrel glove so you don't get greasy) In the boat, I also kept $20 tucked in the tool bag.

Now... along with that, I keep a rubber-made tote marked as "Boat" that I throw in my truck. It has a full set of tools, and some extra parts... along with a gallon of oil, and other boating stuff.

hhhmmmmmm --- 20.00 ???? would that be for the swimming pool/lake waitress ??? like on vacation with chevy chase ????

hhhmmmmmm --- 20.00 ???? would that be for the swimming pool/lake waitress ??? like on vacation with chevy chase ????

lol, actually i always have $20 on me in my little zip bag with my registration, phone, ID.

i figure its for emergency fuel or to tip a helpful boater that is nice enough to help drag you off a sandbar (had that once, but he refused the money) I didn't argue with him too much, since I would refuse it too...

oh and in case it wasn't mentioned, a nice sturdy pocket knife or utility knife is a good idea, in case you have to cut crap off that gets wrapped around your prop/driveline.

Good feedback. The open-end adjustable wrench would have several uses, the spark plug, the nuts holding the choke and throttle cable, the lag bolts on the trailer bunks, the bolts on the back of the reverse gate.

Did not realize the hoses were not under pressure and as such not likely to split.

So, here is my proposed kit based on feedback.

Screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
open adjustable wrench
zip ties
duct tape
Allen wrenches in exhaust and carb removal sizes
spare hose clamps
$20
gallon oil
flashlight
spark plugs
fuses
channel lock pliers

Ideally, I hope to never have to use them!!!

If you ever suck up a ski rope youll wish you had one of those oil filter wrenches with the rubber strap to reverse the flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back